<p>Hi</p>

<p>It seems that firefox doesn`t handle color profiles very good, here is the same pic in firefox (to the left) and safari (to the right), <br /> this makes me think that to see what should be is a bit more complicated than it looks....</p>

<p>Just use the sRGB color space (which is what Firefox, Opera, and Microsoft's Internet Explorer, etc, all expect to see). You CAN make FF color-profile aware, but you have to know how - and most people don't do it. <br /><br />On the other hand, if you just use the sRGB profile (instead of Adobe RGB), Safari will recognize it just fine ... and all of the apps, browser, and computers out there that don't even think about it one way or the other will be in good shape, since sRGB is their default view of the world.</p>

<p>Mario, you just have to turn on color management in Firefox. sRGB doesn't help your problem. There is a very simple tool to turn on color management in Firefox that you can get <a href="https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6891">here. </a> Otherwise, you can do it yourself by following<a href="http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-9311-9478"> these directions.</a></p>

<p>The safest way is simply to use the sRGB colour space for any images you expect other people to view using a web browser. You can continue to use Adobe RGB for other purposes if you wish, and it is better to do so for many applications.</p>

<p>Jeff's link is old now, there is no longer a Boolean True/False choice but a numerical 0,1,2 choice, 2 is default and 1 full colour managed. Firefox does not currently support ICC4.</p>

<p><a href="https://developer.mozilla.org/En/ICC_color_correction_in_Firefox">This link explains it all</a> the choice line is now named this gfx.color_management.mode. There is also a full rendering intent option.</p>

<p>Surely most people keep up with browser updates? If for nothing else then for the security updates. Anyway, I think my point is a good one, and for the truest reproductions of your images in Firefox then you should select the appropriate Rendering Intent too, another good reason to update as this feature was not available before this latest colour management choices were.</p>

<p>Take care, Scott.</p>

<cite>But don't forget: if you are preparing work for other people to see, you cannot assume they'll be using a profile-aware browser. It's safest to assume they will not.</cite>

<p>You also cannot assume that their monitor and/or graphics card have been calibrated, or that they've even had the brightness and contrast controls adjusted to reasonable values; in fact, I suspect that if you were to do a random survey of a hundred Web users, you'll find that your image looks significantly different on the majority of them than it does on your own calibrated display.</p>

<p>Bottom line, as always: use sRGB, and understand that there's nothing you can do that will make your image look the same on random users' monitors.</p>

<cite>Surely most people keep up with browser updates? If for nothing else then for the security updates.</cite>

<p>I'm an IT consultant, and I can assure you that many people don't keep up to do date with most computer software: browsers, Acrobat readers, Java, operating system updates, virus definition updates, etc. Your software can pop up ginormous blinking red boxes and scream "THIS IS AN IMPORTANT SECURITY UPDATE AND YOUR COMPUTER WILL CATCH FIRE IF YOU DON'T INSTALL IT WITHIN THE NEXT FIVE SECONDS!" through the sound card, and you'll still find people who'll click the Close button rather than installing it. The only software that you can be reasonably sure is up to date is software that does not give the user an option of whether or not to keep itself updated (which, of course, is very impolite of it - Google Earth, I'm looking at you).</p>

<p>Funny really how we look at these things differently. My take was not what I am uploading, I assume all others are ignorant so I always sRGB uploads and web content and even then accept others lack of colour profiling, I check colour management options so that I can see others work as closely as they intended, where I am able, even if they didn't know entirely what they were doing themselves. No point in looking at tests or good photographers sites if your own browser is not optimised.</p>

<p>Anybody that doesn't keep up to date with security updates on a computer they store their images on is an idiot.</p>

<p>Take care, Scott.</p>

Hasn't color management (by profile) been default enabled since Firefox 3.5? Firefox 3.6 is the most popular browser in the world now, having recently surpassed IE8. Somewhat of a surprise given what Steve Dunn said. I guess when upgrades take only minutes, instead of the hours required by IE8, people are more likely to upgrade.

Firefox still can't print colors correctly, though!