Photography tips in/around Barcelona

mustard

<p>I will be making my first trip to europe as an active photography enthusiast, going to barcelona for a week and will be driving either north to Cadaques, or south to Valencia. Would love some advice on a few topics from any experts or people that have travelled the region.<br />1- from a photographers point of view, is it better to go North or South from Barcelona (looking for nice landscapes, architecture and real Spanish life photo's)<br />2- is there any specific Kit that the experts would say is critical to accomplish the above ? (Have a Nikon D80 with Kit 18-135MM lens, Polarising filter and Tripod already) and any helpful tricks or techniques that can really make travel photography easy and rewarding for a relative beginner ?<br />3- Any hyped up tourist attractions that should be avoided.</p>

<p>thanks and Look forward to any advice, both on Spain and on The photography questions.<br />Dylan</p>

<p>Hi! As a native from Barcelona, I'm glad to give you some tips.<br>

1. From photographers point of view, go to the North undoubtely! Cadaques is a wonderful choice, but "nearer" are Girona, Calella de Palafrugell (not Calella, which is no more than appartments for tourists), Pals, Besalú... This two are kind of medieval villages which are really nice!<br>

Dude, don't look for the real spanish life in Catalunya ;) (politician matters, you know)<br>

Hope you like it!</p>

<p>Sara<br>

Thanks very much for the advice. I was leaning to the north and had already picked Girona on Google maps as a way point, so that fits with my "plans" perfectly. Will definately try to fit in the 2 villages you have mentioned, so that I can see real "Catalan" life ;) they sound like just the kind of places I was looking for. </p>

<p>I am currently living in Barcelona. Yes, keep your SA (situational awareness) up for the pickpocket threat, although major crime is likely very rare. The Barcelona tourist sites that are must see: Gaudí's Big Four...<strong>Parc Guell </strong>(two dots over the "u", and great views of the city), <strong>Casa Batlló</strong>, <strong>La Pedrera</strong>, & <strong>Sagrada Familia</strong>. Yes, they are packed with tourists, but try to go early or late to catch good lighting and see if you can figure out how to shoot these places in a way that hasn't been done before (I keep trying...). Other suggestions: <strong>Las Ramblas </strong>for people shots, <strong>Port Vell </strong>for boats, water and people, <strong>Barceloneta</strong> for clotheslines with faded underwear, the <strong>Olympic Port/Olympic Village </strong>area for weird structures, people and beaches, <strong>Montjuic</strong> for city views and the Olympic torch and stadium area, the <strong>Barri Gòtic </strong>and Barcelona Cathedral zone for old architecture and narrow, cobbled streets...that's probably plenty. Do you have two weeks for Barcelona alone? Oh, yeah...I often get up before dawn and go to Parc Guell for sunrise over the city, or, for sunrise, I'll go to the more industrial port area where the cruise ships anchor, or the Olympic Port by the twin towers, or even the Parc Forum...lots of great cityscape opportunities in these places. You could also spend a lifetime documenting the awesome graffiti that is everywhere. I could go on...it's a great city! Enjoy! As to lenses, I am not much beyond the beginner stage so take what I say with a block of salt. I tend to go out with one lens on the camera and "see" that way for the day...For example, I use the 17-50 Tamron a lot, or even the 10-24 Nikkor for cool effects and confined areas. Despite my one lens philosophy, though, I do keep my 70-300 in the bag just in case...along with polarizer, ND and GND filters. When I go out at sunrise I will take and use a tripod...other times and places are often way too crowded to think about doing that. Hope that helps. Bon viatge!</p>

<p>David<br>

Thanks I will be careful, I come from Johannesburg, so am no stranger to petty crime :)<br>

Daniel.<br>

WOW!... Lots to do. I might have to delay the trip to the north. Thanks for the local knowledge, I will try to make use of it as much as possible. Sounds like I might need to invest in a new lens, as a beginner I only have the kit 18-135mm which is a bit slow in low light situations (narrow cobbled streets in the morning and evening i guess) thanks again!</p>

<p>Hi Dylan, honestly if you have time, for real Spanish life,plus unique landscape,go inland.Towards Manressa,and the south of the Pyrenees,and if you go South of Barcelona,the Ebre Delta,and then again inland.A week is not a lot,as you know,so dont over do the long tedious coast drive.Unfortunately the whole Costa Brava is a hyped up tourist area,but inland its a whole new world.I live 5 hours away,and go there as often as possible,but thats just my opinion.Kit sounds okay,keep it light and multi-purpose,otherwise you will miss THAT shot.Good trip John.</p>

<p>thanks David, have marked La Pedrera as a must see on my list. (great photo by the way)<br>

John, will try find a day at least to get inland. We will be using Barcelona as a base and making day trips, so the shorter trip towards Manresa and the mountains sounds a good bet. Any specific locations on that route that you particularly enjoy ?<br>

thanks. </p>

<p>Well from Manressa go on to Cardona,Solsona,and then you hit the Segre river.Depends on your time,but there is some very nice scenery either way.North towards Andorra,or south towards Lerida.Gets a bit flat towards lerida,but north of Balaguer there is the Pallars Jussa,fabulous gorges.The Costers del Segre is a very good local wine,which you can find everywhere.If you go up towards Andorra,and come back say via Berga,the roads are very sinuous,so it takes sometime,not to mention that you will be stopping every 3 seconds to take a photo..its that good. John</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>Off the topic, if you're going to Barcelona on holidays or going to spend some time there, be sure you consider all accommodation options: <a href="http://www.barcelonacheckin.com/en/n/apartment_barcelona.php">holiday apartments barcelona</a> city center, <a href="http://www.barcelonacheckin.com/en/n/accommodation_barcelona.php">cheap accommodation in barcelona</a> from 19€ per night, etc and not only hotels and hostels.</p>

<p>Get a free pocket guide to see the most touristic places of Barcelona, so you know what you should avoid :) I personally love the Parc Güell, but when it's not so full of people (which tends to be on weekdays, except summer, and at lunch time).<br>

Have a nice stay!</p>