Canon PowerShot SX210IS - Anyone using this?

tdigi

<p>I just saw this and it looks like a pretty decent pocketable camera. I want something that is small to complement my 5D2 so I was thinking about an S90/G11. I have considered four thirds but they are not really pocketable.</p>

<p>Hi, Tommy..I have the S90 and am very happy with its performance thus far. I basically take it everywhere, just in case...been caught out too many times without a camera to hand! A friend of mine has the Panasonic LX3 which you might want to check out as well. Not certain if the SX210 has raw...all the best</p>

<p>You have to define your needs more, because the SX210 and the S90/G11 are different animals entirely.</p>

<p>The S90 serves the needs of "serious" photographers who can appreciate its qualities, such as the controls when using manual and semi-automatic modes, its native ability to give you raw files to work with, and its f/2 lens at the wide end. It has a larger sensor than the more consumer-oriented SX210. But its not a megazoom camera. The SX210 is, but its maximum aperture is only f/3.1. That's pretty slow compared to the S90's.</p>

<p>Therefore, it depends what kinds of pictures you intend to use it for. Fine art and flashless indoor/low light is definitely within the realm of possibilities with the S90/G11, but perhaps animal photography requiring a super telephoto isn't.</p>

<p>Forget to add this to my previous post:</p>

<p>The S90 doesn't have HD video, but the SX series does. The internet is chock full of people complaining on every forum that not having put HD video on the S90 is a big problem. But, it's a photographer's pocket camera, not a pocket video camera for the family snapshooter. If HD video is important to you, don't get an S90. With the SX210, you will have HD video, but you won't have the same level of image quality -- that, I can guarantee you from personal experience.</p>

<p>I'm not a fan of big zooms, but sometimes, they do have their uses. For example, I was out yesterday doing the kind of photography I like, and I found a subject that interested me. Unfortunately, it was impossible to get close enough, and the 105 mm (in 35 mm terms) maximum telephoto on the S90 did not allow me to get that shot. The SX210 would have. So now, I have to go back with my film SLR and a longer prime telephoto that I already have. I'm just saying this as an example that it's important to know your needs and to know the limitations of any camera choice in relation to those needs - before you spend the big bucks. Compact cameras do limit you to the lens they came with.</p>

<p>I have a Panasonic FX28, which specs out similarly to the SX20IS. The short answer is that the sensor is tiny. You can deal with the noise issues by shooting at ISO 100 and RAW, or live with smeared detail because of aggressive noise reduction. The FX 28 is my grab-and-go because it produces decent images and fits my hands. I know not to expect great detail and 100% enlargement (it looks OK at 67%). You won't see the detail at 100% you see w your 5D2 (any SLR, for that matter). The tradeoff seems to be portability vs. image quality. I traded the IQ of a larger sensor (say 4/3) for an accurate viewfinder and a hand holdable camera that feels like something other than a wet fish, all for less than $300. .</p>

<p>Thanks for all the feedback. This would be for general use, the kind of camera you can always have with you. ( walking around, out with the family etc. Not really a specific need, for travel I would still most likely take my 5d2 ) The problem is there are so many choices its hard to figure out what is best for me. I know the LX3 and the S90 are pretty high quality but this one seems pretty attractive too<br>

<br /> I do want something at least decent quality. I am not expect DSLR quality but I would prefer HD video and a somewhat wide lens ( 28mm ). I would think they all have very similar sensor sized correct? I thought all the sensors in these cameras are tiny.<br>

A large zoom range is attractive which is what lead me to the Sx210 ( 28-around 400 ) seems useful for such a camera but a decent range like the S90 would be enough. I am not sure I really care if it has RAW or not.</p>

<p>No, they do not all have the same sensor size, but more importantly, they don't all have the same design goals. I think that whatever the brand preferences, it's important for someone like you to realize that the consumer models with the mega megapixels (talking about 12, 14 and such megapixel numbers) are producing pictures acceptable for snaps, but they have really vicious noise reduction, combined with in-camera software lens distortion correction. You can easily see the effects of this towards the edges, especially at the wider and longer ends of those big zooms -- and it doesn't have to be at 100% pixel-peeping magnification either.</p>

<p>The popular higher-end compacts are popular higher-end compacts for a reason. You can't go wrong with any of those, no matter whether it's Canon, Panasonic or whatever. Some of the more expensive consumer models like the SX210 are not too far from the price range of the less expensive, more professional models.</p>

<p>I'm not arguing in favour of any particular camera, just answering the question because I've used both.</p>

<p>Tommy, I am also trying to buy a point and shoot to take with me in my pocket. I thought I had narrowed it down to Lumix zs7/tz10 or the sony hx5v. I had discounted the sx210 because of what I had read. I was thinking the longer zoom and hd video would just make it so much more flexible allrounder. On the other hand, they don't seem to get such great reviews on image quality. Now I am getting angry at myself for wasting so much time on making the decision. It is all still clear as mud. If the S90 even had an 7x zoom, it would make life easier.</p>

<p>For me if the S90 did HD video the decision would be easy. This is one of those situations where there are so many choices so I do nothing. I am starting to think that maybe I should forget the HD video and just get the best compact for photos. Photos are what I am most concern with anyway.</p>

<p>I've been using my S90 for about 2 months and love it. I bought it to supplement my canon dSLR. I always have my s90 on me (in my purse). I didn't buy it to supplement a video camera, so the lack of HD video wasn't of concern to me. The video that the S90 shoots is perfectly acceptable. Much better than my previous canon P&S. I don't find myself spending time poring over my video captures or excessively editing them, so that wasn't high on m list of priorities when looking for a new camera.<br>

I bought (what I consider) the best compact camera for photos.</p>