best way to use guide books

sandra_aamodt

I'm planning a brief (3-day) photographic trip to Vermont in October. I can borrow a friend's cabin and assume food will be widely available, so I've moved on to the truly important question: where to go to take pictures. Looking at the guide books designed specifically for photography, I find most of them really turn me off. Why would I drive four hours to press the shutter release and duplicate a picture that originated in somebody else's head? I might as well stay home and buy a calendar with better images than mine. These books miss the point for me by a On the other hand, I won't have a lot of time. Do most of you use guide books, and if so, for what? I've been to Vermont in the summer, and as I recall, trees aren't hard to find there. Can I safely plan to wander around in the Green Mountains and find things to photograph?

I use the photo guide books and newsletters the same way I use the camera's light meter. It's a good starting place, and great in emergencies, but no substitute for your own brain.

<p>

When I go to an unknown place recommended in a photo.guide I mostly go to the recommended site first, but I am always looking around for other ideas. And I usually find them. Most of these writers don't seem to have the necessary time to document all of the great photo spots even if (and its a very big IF) they have found them.

<p>

Sometimes, I use the guides to eliminate sites when time is very limited. A guide that saves me 3 hours of time and several gallons of gasoline has already come close to paying for itself.

<p>

Some of the best guides are books on the culture, history, geology and geography of a place. Once you understand what makes that place important you will have a better nose for what kind of images will reflect that importance.

You already have the right idea questioning why you should click your shutter in the exact same place as someone else. Buy a map, throw away the guide book and go out with a clear mind. October in Vermont is color. It is everywhere, from one leaf on the ground to the painted mountains. Seeing your not on assingment, let the surroundings move you rather than having your mind cluttered with the photos of others. Your photos will be a better representation of how you see and that will provide your best memories. Have a great trip!

In time you will call AAA and get some of their tour books and also visit the library and look for older books about the areas you visit. many of the newer guide books are excellent. They make great flat surfaces to put a beer, coffee or soda pop down on to keep from getting a wet ring on the tabletop.

Write ahead to local tourist bureaus & chambers of commerce for info on the local area. Also any Audubon chapters or other groups familiar with the area.

If you really want the best images, check out what the books, brochures, etc say and plan on walking more to find your own views.

I try to plan a trip at least six months, even a year ahead of time, so I'll have time to do some research on the area. I'll ask about the area in the newsgroups "nature photo techinque". I've also got some good information here at photo net about certain areas that I plan on visiting.

<p>

I use a Delorme Atlas & Gazetteer of the State I'm visiting as a map of the area, and I just checked, they have one for Vermont. They are available at book stores. These maps show "back roads", and that's where I have found excellent photo opportunities, and some relief from the crowds at peak times.

<p>

I have never been to Vermont, so I can't help you with locations, but maybe someone else in this forum can. There are some very friendly and knowledgeable folks at this forum. Good luck.

• 10 years later...