Dot Line wireless remote camera release for D90?

lewis_hizer

<p>Hello everyone -<br>

I was wondering if anyone had experience with any radio-controlled releases for the D90, to fire the shutter from a distance. I am NOT interested in any remote that requires line-of-sight to the camera (infrared) and am NOT contemplating firing <em>flashes</em> remotely. I want something that I can carry in my hand, press a button, and cause the tripod-mounted camera to take a picture.<br>

It must work up to about a hundred feet and not be affected by the shape of the room. I would be using this to take pictures of a wedding ceremony in a church, with the camera/tripod towards the back of the aisle or up in the balcony, while I'm carrying a second camera to various positions in the side aisles for different angles on the couple/audience.<br>

I've seen a device at B&H called the Dot Line RS-RT04/D90, for about $70, that looks like what I'm thinking of, but has anyone ever used one? Does it work reliably and will it really work from 100 feet away? Are there any similar options at similar prices? The key thing is that I don't want to have to be required to aim it at an IR sensor on the camera - it has to work even if I can't see the camera from where I'm standing.</p>

<p>I use the Dot Line RSRT06N10 with my D700 and have had good results. I've tested it to about 60 feet away and it works fine. I always take 2 pics when I use it as sometimes the first one does not autofocus (just takes the pic at the exact settings). Just bring the remote with you and press the button, easy as can be.</p>

• 2 months later...

<p>Just bought one and am looking forward to using it regularly. Only advice is buy new 12V battery for sending unit - the unit arrived with one that made the light go on, but couldn't broadcast.<br>

Unit connects via GPS port on side. Receiver unit has on/off swith to save the 2 AAA batteries. Seems to dangle a bit precariously, but ...<br>

Other caveat is to note that it runs from "regular" setting on release mode. I made the mistake of changing that to the remote setting - which must be for the IR Nikon remote.<br>

Seems to work fine, even through wall at 40-50 ft.</p>