Wildly inconsistent lights

<p>A likely culprit is automatic settings on your camera.</p>

<p>Use manual aperture settings and set your shutter speed manually to it's maximum sync speed, or around one stop slower.</p>

<p>Then adjust your strobe's power output to achieve an appropriate exposure. If the exposures vary even when your camera settings remain fixed, then you have a defective, or badly made strobe.</p>

<p>Use one strobe head when testing this solution... t</p>

<p>My advice is a similars to Tom's but with one addition. You have to use the Manual exposure settings. The addition here is get a Flash meter. Because if you don't you will be going through a lot of hit or miss and trial and error.</p>

<p>My advice interms trying to find your exposure right now is set your cammera to Manual your ISO to 100, shutter speed to 1/125 and your f/stop to f/16. Then take a shot. If your is is to dark then open up your f/stop to f/11. Then take a shot. If still to dark try f/11. If that doesn't work then try f/8. Basically keep opening up the f/stop until you get the exposure you want. This also an example of why you want a flash meter.</p>

<p>Yes. Use manual settings on all adjustments (which I think I said), except focusing.</p>

<p>If you are using a digital camera, a flash meter is not absolutely necessary to determine if your strobe and camera are working properly. Check your histograms to see graphic illustration of what is subjectively revealed on your camera's LCD, ie: that you are in the ball park and the equipment is functioning properly. I only use a flash meter when I'm trying to get totally even light across an entire area, or for setting critical power ratios. Neither of those objectives are addressed in this thread.</p>

<p>Following the procedure in Ralph's second paragraph will answer your question: "Am I nuts?" as well as the implied question, "or are my lights broke?". I suspect the answer to both is "no"... t</p>