how to get this effect?

benjamin_tapper

<p>Hey all,<br>

I've been perusing lately, noticing a few photogs are starting to use the same editing style. It's a kind of vintage-esque sort of look i guess. I noticed it in force on www.whitehautephotography.com their main page has a few pictures with it (sunflower picture, guy clicking his heels, and a bunch of other ones. My first instinct is color overlay, but i still can't quite recreate it. Any ideas? Thanks!</p>

<p> -Ben</p>

<p>Here's a step-by-step that will create a similar effect:</p>

<p>Select All<br /> Copy<br /> Paste (New Layer)<br /> Image - Adjustments - Hue/Saturation - Click Colorize - Adjust to taste<br>

THIS STEP IS OPTIONAL, BUT WILL GIVE YOU A NICE SOFT FOCUS:<br>

Filter - Blur - Gaussian Blur - Adjust to taste (2.5 - 3.5 works well)<br>

In Layers Panel, Adjust Opacity to taste<br /> Flatten Image<br /> CONGRATULATIONS! You're done!</p>

<p>See if that works for you. It's all about playing with the settings until you get what you like. Once you figure that out, make an action out of it so you don't have to do all of the steps over and over again.</p>

<p>Hope this helps,<br /> RS</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>noticing a few photogs are starting to use the same editing style</p>

</blockquote>

<p>and you want to join the crowd? If you do, why would a client hire you vs the other guys? Wouldn't it be better if you explore your own style to stand out?</p>

<p>I agree with Mark... why do what others are doing when you can make your own style. I can usually figure out how to do most effects in PS, but the ones I make myself are the ones I like the best...and I don't freely hand out instructions on how to do them.</p>

<p>Thanks everyone that tried to help, everyone that didn't answer my question just babbled about being different... thanks for not answering my question. I have my motives for asking, don't worry about me, i have no prob getting clients, just curious... taking inspiration from others in the business is not a bad thing. I had lunch with another studio today to talk about our business, good things bad things, things we do... yes... sharing secrets and everything. Time to work together ya'll, if you're good enough you don't have to be scared of losing people to others.</p>

<p>Everyone that responded about being different, making your own style, did you ever stop to consider that perhaps Benjamin is simply trying to recreate an effect in an effort to learn about it?<br>

Reverse engineering other photographers images is a fantastic way to learn processing techniques. And if he does want to copy and use the effect, who cares? If it gets him work and his clients like it, then excellent, one more happy photographer earning a dollar!<br>

By the way Benjamin, thanks for asking, I am sure that there are plenty of newbies too scared to ask these sorts of questions, that read posts like this and learn a lot without yet dipping their toe in to forum participation and opening themselves up to criticism.<br>

Great reply by the way Richard - I am sure it is exactly the type of reply that Benjamin was hoping for :-)</p>

<p>Thank you,<br>

and yes, i've seen it time after time on this forum, people ask one question and everyone steps in with their know it all attitude with everything but the answer. I'm not new to photography, but have only been in the wedding world for a year or so (though have already received some national notariety) But I have seen so much ego in this industry it's almost vomit inducing.</p>

<p>I checked out the site. The vintage look is very trendy right now and most photographers are using actions to achieve it. Probably the most commonly used for the vintage effect are the TRA actions, (which I don't own.) You can go to the <a href="http://www.gettotallyrad.com/">TRA site</a> and try out the actions to see what they look like.</p>

<p>You can also get this look with Kevin Kubota's actions. Although I don't use the technique much, I have discovered that I can get this exact look by combining Kevin Kubota's "Too Blue Daylight Tungsten" action (with the opacity adjusted to taste) and the X process combo, (again with adjusted opacity) in his Artistic Version 1 pack.</p>

<p>I forgot to add that you might enjoy checking out the <a href="http://gettotallyrad.com/recipes/">recipes</a> page on the TRA site. Other photographers have posted photos listing the different combination of TRA actions they used and you can see all the cool effects.</p>

<p>Here is another site with the vintage style. I enjoy checking it out from time to time for inspiration:<br>

<a href="http://simplybloomphotography.com/blog/">Simply Bloom Photography</a></p>

<p> </p>

<p>I was wrong... Jean you're right... there's a very similar one in KK's action pack...<br>

but I still recall having used an effect like that one in the past primarily for weddings, and at one point using VP for most of the effects cuz it was easy,... <em>as far the vintage look being trendy</em>... I dunno about that one. But it is really pretty.....</p>

• 1 month later...
<p>I am so glad that I stumbled upon this thread and read the part about photographers with their big egos. When I first entered the photo world, I came to this site for suggestions and answers. I am often very curious about how photographers achieve effects b/c it teaches me things about photoshop that I didn't know existed. Sometimes, I just couldn't figure out how to do something with my camera, or what kind of equipment achieves certain things so I came here. About 90% of the questions I have looked up on here are attacked by at least one photographer pretty much telling the person things like "if you don't know how to do this, then you shouldn't be shooting that...." or "leave it to the professionals" and blah, blah, blah. It's pretty heartbreaking when you come here looking for answers to expand your knowledge on the subject and someone's telling you basically that you aren't good enough b/c you asked a question. Shame on all of you photographers who have ever done that. This is supposed to be a helpful resource, not a place to discourage others from going into your field of work. There's no need to get all defensive and angry over somebody trying to learn. And thank you to all the photographers who had no problems trying to give straight and helpful answers without tearing people down....</p>

• 3 months later...