Metering with M6 non-TTL

<p>Hi,<br /> <br /> Just bought an M6 non-TTL. Shot a couple of rolls with it and all seems fine, with only with a minor weird thing that is bugging me.<br /> <br /> In situations where I have very few light, the meter stops showing the arrows, like if it was telling me there isn't a suitable shutter-speed in order to expose properly, given the chosen apperture.<br /> <br /> That might be ok, but I found in friends that have M7 and M6TTL that their cameras in similar situations, the arrows are shown the same way, only they are blinking.<br /> <br /> One situation where I tried this is closing myself in a dark room with very tiny lights in the window. When I point to the light, the meter show the proper arrow indication. When I move to a dark area, no arrows are shown.<br /> <br /> Can you please help? Is my m6 working well not showing the arrows (in those situations), or it should show them blinking?<br /> Thanks in advance,<br /> Rui</p>

<p>Hi again,<br>

The answer is indeed in the link you posted:<br>

<em>"If I understand what you are reporting, then I think your camera is operating correctly. I assume you have an M6 with an early serial number. In the beginning, the M6's meter simply cut out when you went below the metering range. Later, because of the reaction of many who thought the meter wasn't working, the dispay was changed to a flashing LED. This lets you know the meter is operating, but the EV range is below the ability of the meter to function. Be aware that the metering range is based on ISO 100, so with faster film, you can be out of the meter's range based on the sliding scale of the EV."</em><br>

Well, guess I'll have to live with that :\<br>

Thanks again,<br>

Rui</p>

<p>Hi Rui. I also have a non-TTL M6 and have the same thing happens on my light meter. It is inactive if I am like four stops off or more. Initially it bugged me, but then it forced me to get my aperture into the range before bringing the camera to my eye and hitting the right exposure with the meter. Good practice I suppose.</p>

<p>Hi Rui<br>

This is normal. In good light you measure the exposure on a surface of aprox 18% grey. This could be the concrete of the street, a roof of a house, the green grass or whatever. In bad light you better aim your camera at a white surface lake a white wall or so and than open up the aperture or the shutter for about 4 stops. Best, Michael</p>

<p>Hi Rui<br>

This is normal. In good light you measure the exposure on a surface of aprox 18% grey. This could be the concrete of the street, a roof of a house, the green grass or whatever. In bad light you better aim your camera at a white surface like a white wall or so and than open up the aperture or the shutter for about 4 stops.<br>

Best, Michael</p>

<p>To find correct exposure in a really dark place, you need a lightmeter that can read almost no light, such as some of the Gossen Lunapro (Luna = moon!) meters. (Google) They ought to go down to about -10 EVs; in camera meters often can only measure down to 1 or 0 EV.</p>

<p>So, that is the problem: the built in meter cannot help you: Your camera is all ok.</p>

<p>Of course you can always guess: for example: dark ocean at night: about 8 min at f/2.8 and 400 ISO or an EV of -9 or such will give you marvelous broody pics. Experience and experimentation will help you, too.</p>