Lens hood + storing camera

jess_h2

<p>Hi all!<br>

A quick question- today I ordered Hoya multicoated UV filters for my new lenses. After searching the forum and reading everyone's input, I decided that I really didn't have much lose in keeping filters as a protective cover on each lens. But reading the posts about filters also made think about lens hoods. So far, I just left them in the boxes as I thought they were an optional accessory. It seems I might be mistaken, as many people seem to leave them on all the time. So I dutifully put on my lens hoods and really, on the 35mm and 18-105 mm kit lens they are quite unobtrusive. On the 70-300mm I installed the hood backwards to have it handy but also allow for easier storage as I don't use this lens as often. But I'm not sure how to store my camera with one of the smaller lenses + hood on. The bags I purchased (Kata rucksack and ephiphanie lola) have illustrations showing the camera with lens on inserted lens first/straight down vs. lcd down or on the side. Is this okay to do? Even with a lens hood on? Thanks!</p>

<p>Relevant question as lens hoods are important but they do also greatly 'bulk up' your lenses in your camera bag.</p>

<p>Reversing the hood for 70-300 is the obvious and good solution. I used to do the same when I had the 18-200 zoom. For the other lenses its really your call. FWIW I have used the third-party rubber lens hoods that fold back on a bunch of my lenses. They are not as sexy as Nikon ones but they do the trick for flare avoidance, are always available on the lens and readily deployable, and though they make the lenses a bit wider/fatter, when folded back they do not make them longer.</p>

<p>I wish more lenses had the slide forward/back setups like my 135/2 and 180/2.8 though! All the benefits of a hood with none of the hassles!</p>

<p>I carry my kit lens down in one bag, and on its side (due to a side-of-backpack easy access flap) in the other. I don't think it makes a difference as long as its reasonably snug and secure from really being banged around. Obviously with a lens hood on you need to be careful that it doesn't snag on something if you want to take your camera out in a hurry.</p>

<p>i just keep the lens hoods reversed. you really only need them when shooting into the sun or moving through crowds.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The bags I purchased (Kata rucksack and ephiphanie lola) have illustrations showing the camera with lens on inserted lens first/straight down vs. lcd down or on the side. Is this okay to do? Even with a lens hood on? Thanks!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>just reverse the hoods when you put the camera back in the bag. the reason you put the camera lens down is not only is it easier to 'draw' the camera from this position, but in the case of impact such as droppage you generally want to protect the body more than the lens.</p>

<p>You don't mention lens caps. Be sure to keep a lens cap on your lenses while stored in whatever camera carrying system you use. Accessories and even debris can circulate around in there and inevitably this stuff ends up brushing up against the front of your lenses.</p>

<p>Protective filters are your call, of course, but I have always used filters on my lenses and they have saved my equipment many, many times in hostile environments.</p>

<p>Lens hoods make a difference even in situations where sun or stray light intrusion is not obvious. I did a with-and -without test under various lighting conditions as an assignment at Brooks Institute and the lab results were quite compelling for the use of a lens hood at all times.</p>