spider holster for weddings

rocky_g.

<p >I just saw an add for something called a spider holster. I shoot with two cameras and often get my two straps tangeled up so it looks like it might be pretty useful. I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with this thing before I drop some dough on it. </p>

<p>Rocky--I'm sure you did a search?</p>

<p><a href="http://www.photo.net/search/?cx=000753226439295166877%3A0gyn0h9z85o&cof=FORID%3A11&ie=UTF-8&section=all&q=Spider+Holster&filter=0#1592">http://www.photo.net/search/?cx=000753226439295166877%3A0gyn0h9z85o&cof=FORID%3A11&ie=UTF-8&section=all&q=Spider+Holster&filter=0#1592</a></p>

<p>Of the people who actually own and use one for weddings--they either love it or it didn't work for them. I'm guessing you are just gonna have to try anyway.</p>

<p>Rocky,</p>

<p>Here's the web page for anybody who's interested:</p>

<p><a href="http://www.spiderholster.com/">http://www.spiderholster.com/</a></p>

<p>I've never heard of it before, but I think it looks rather interesting. I also shoot with two cameras all the time, and occasionally with three, and I have the same problem you do. I put camera straps of slightly different lengths on the two main cameras so they are somewhat less likely to bump into one another. But I still find that the one that's supposed to be in front ends up getting caught in back.</p>

<p>I am rather intrigued and may pick up a spider holster and give it a try. Wish it were a little cheaper but actually the $100+ price looks reasonable for what you get.</p>

<p>The big problem I see right now is, I can't see making this work if I'm wearing a suit jacket...</p>

<p>Will</p>

<p>The thing that scares the stuffing out of me about that is the lack of ANY strap once you pick it up. I use a double strap by BlackRapid which connects to the tripod mounts on the bottom of your cameras, replacing the straps but keeping them around your hips and out of each other's way. I've had great success with this system, even while wearing a suit or tux jacket.</p>

<p>Here's a review I found online:</p>

<p>http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10245144-1.html</p>

<p>I got mine through B&H and am VERY happy with it.</p>

<p>We have a winner! I KNEW that I'd seen something before that was, kinda sorta, like the spider holster. And Michael Chadwick linked to it. Thanks, Michael. </p>

<p>I was also worried about the lack of a strap on the spider holster. I'm not especially clumsy or ham-handed, but the consequence of dropping a camera is not good, so I'm pretty obsessive about keeping the cameras around my neck. </p>

<p>Still, I think the spider holster is cool. I don't usually wear my boots to weddings, but I could start, and perhaps add spurs. I can see myself walking down the aisle toward the back of the church, and then, when the bride appears on her father's arm, whipping out a camera, taking a shot, and then blowing the smoke away from the lens. [cue sound track from The Good, The Bad and The Ugly: ay-ay-ahhh, bum bum bum...]</p>

<p>I went through this same dilemma. I looked at most of the options out there and ended up purchasing the Cotton Carrier Camera System. The thing I did not like about the Black Rapids and other strap systems were that the cameras are free-hanging and will swing around as such. I hate walking around with cameras swinging on my thighs. The Spider Holster intrigued me but I did not like the major piece of metal hardware that attaches to the camera and inserts into the 'holster.' I've used the CC at two all-day weddings now and feel as fresh after a long day as when I started. I once made the mistake of carrying two cameras using only camera neck straps at a wedding and was a wreck before the day was half way through. The downside using the CC... I look like I am a SWAT officer going into combat. But to minimize that I typically wear a black shirt so that the CC blends in. As an aside I've also used the CC to carry my camera on my chest when hiking and bouldering. It proved to be the perfect solution to these types of activities as you remain very agile and the camera is right there for quick photos (don't try that with Black Rapids!). And if you're concerned about using cameras without any straps (for security) I think the CC now offers security straps in case you drop the camera. I think it's an amazing product.</p>

<p>

<p >Wow, I didn't realize there how many options there are for cool camera strap alternatives. This may sound crazy, but has anyone considered using the Black-Rapid's double strap in conjunction with the Spider Holster?</p>

</p>

<p>I think the Camera Slingers "Freedom" double-strap looks like the ticket. Just placed an order from Adorama through Amazon ($120). May have been designed to be female friendly but, even as a guy, I like the fact that it doesn't put a strap across my chest. Thanks to Victoria and Steve for the recommendation. </p>

<p>Daniel: Yikes! That doesn't sound good. </p>

<p>I saw a video on the Black Rapids' web site with some tips on how to get the most from the product. One tip was to wet (or lick) the thingy that I think you screw into the tripod socket on the bottom of the camera bottom. Apparently, if you wet it, you can make a tighter connection, and presumably, that means a connection less likely to come loose as you use it.</p>

<p>I hope the Camera Slingers double-strap doesn't have this problem.</p>

<p>OK, I'll add a description of what I use, which is similar to the BR double strap in concept. It is a lot cheaper, doesn't have your cameras banging around your hips, and disappears under a jacket. The only gotcha is you can't use really heavy cameras, and certainly not a 70-200mm on a camera. But if you have relatively light cameras, it works well. Or you can use it for your lighter camera, and a regular neck strap for the heavier/70-200mm one. I routinely have a 40D (no vertical grip), an 85mm lens and a 580EX on my left side, all day long. Plus, if I am not going to use it, I can cap it, take the flash off and snap it to my back (I also wear a light belt), so it hangs in small of my back as a ready-to-go back up, while out of the way. Plus, you don't have to secure it somewhere (theft).</p>

<p>I wrote about it back in 2004. Here is the thread.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.photo.net/wedding-photography-forum/0093Mb">http://www.photo.net/wedding-photography-forum/0093Mb</a></p>

<p>I'm still using it, along with the OpTech loop adapters. I have adapters everywhere so I can snap other items on my strap as well. The adapters are surprisingly strong, and don't come loose, because they use the regular strap lugs on the camera. I can think of a couple of modifications I could make to allow heavier cameras, but I'd need a metal shop to do it.</p>

<p>I sometimes have my external battery pack clipped to my right side, or my light stick. The strap is comfortable--I wear it for 10 plus hour weddings with no problems. The thing I hate about cameras hanging at your hips is you can't bend over without them crashing together or on the ground if you need to get down on your knees. With my strap, the camera is held just below my waistline, yet I can pull it to my face easily, and let it drop quickly, to get at my other camera, which is on a very short neck strap. I also have a short elastic strap that clips the strap to my skirt waistband, to counter the weight if my right side is empty.</p>

<p>When I first began shooting weddings during the early 90s, the studio frowned on the use of any straps thinking that they looked amateurish. I think photographers need to be careful that they don't end up looking like a bandito out of an old Wild-West movie with gear slung here and there, especially when shooting while wearing a suit or a tux.</p>

<p>With my first studio, my primary camera was on a bracket sans strap and my second camera was with the rest of my gear sans strap and my 3rd backup camera was in my equipment case. I don't so much have an issue against straps as I have concerns for people looking like they are on photo safari while attending a black-tie affair...this includes the guys wearing Dockers, sandals,and an un-tucked shirt with two cameras strapped criss-cross style across their chest</p>

<p>David Schilling writes:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I don't so much have an issue against straps as I have concerns for people looking like they are on photo safari while attending a black-tie affair...this includes the guys wearing Dockers, sandals,and an un-tucked shirt with two cameras strapped criss-cross style across their chest</p>

</blockquote>

<p>If I ever shoot a beach wedding I may reconsider but so far I have always worn a suit to weddings. My problem with the Black Rapids gear is that it didn't look like something I could wear under my suit coat. The Camera Slingers strap apparently CAN be worn in that way. Or at least that's what I'm hoping. I placed my order but it hasn't arrived yet.</p>

<p>I'm not fond of looking ridiculous, but I have found carrying two cameras to be a problem; I need two cameras to do my job well; and I don't think there's anything wrong—indeed there may be some advantage—to LOOKING the part of the pro photographer. I'm pretty sure my wife and daughter will let me know if the Camera Slingers straps cross the threshhold from practical to absurd.</p>

<p>Quick followup 4-21-2010: The Camera Slingers "Freedom" double camera strap was delivered earlier today. I've now had a chance to configure the straps (took me a little playing around to get them the right length) and I've given the strap a quick "test" use here at home. I think I'll use it for a couple small gigs I have on Saturday, so I'll know more then, but my initial impression is quite favorable.</p>

<p>The shoulder pads are held together by a strap that runs across the back. I hung two cameras with medium-sized prime lenses on the straps. Felt fine. Added a flash to one of the cameras. Still felt fine. The connector that screws into the camera's tripod hole tightens pretty well and seems snug and secure, but I think I'll be double-checking this for a while until I have some confidence. The cameras hang at a comfortable position on my hips. It's easy to grab a camera and pick it up to use.</p>

<p>Walking around wasn't a problem, either. I found that I could comfortably put my arms and hands down at my sides and easily protect the cameras while walking around, through doorways, etc.</p>

<p>I slipped a blazer on over the harness and cameras. The harness and straps simply disappear, at least if you look at my upper body. If you look down a little, you will notice that I seem to bulge more than a little on the sides! Doesn't make me look fat. Makes me look like I've got cameras or something under my jacket.</p>

<p>One thing that has kind of surprised me. When I have the cameras hanging around my neck on normal straps, and even more when I just have the camera slung over my shoulder on a strap, I'm reluctant to lean over or bend down. While I was wearing the Camera Slingers harness, I dropped a lens cap. I started to bend over cautiously but quickly realized that neither camera was going to slide off my neck or shoulder. If I had a sudden urge to drop to the ground and do push-ups, I suppose I might bang something on the ground. Otherwise I think the cameras are safe.</p>

<p>One problem I haven't solved yet is, what do I do with the straps that are currently connected to the cameras? I don't ALWAYS carry 2 cameras around. So I don't want to lose my normal camera straps. I found a way to feed the camera's strap through the CAmera Slingers strap, and then loop the camera through its own strap; so if the Camera Slingers connector were somehow to come loose, the camera would not plummet to the ground.</p>

<p>If anything changes after I've had a chance to use the thing for a shoot or two I'll come back here and update. But so far, I'm pretty pleased. </p>

<p>NOTE: I only have experience with this one product. The other products in this thread looked good to me, too, and I'm sure one of them is right for everybody.</p>

<p>Will</p>