Nikon FX Lenses and Missing Focal Lengths - looking at third party lenses

chris_duim

<p>I have recently upgraded to a D3s from the D700 and have the 24-70/2.8 and the 80-200/2.8. I mainly shoot people photos and routinely use the 24-70 during my travel (I do quite a bit of traveling). However I would like to do some sports photography, mainly of my boys doing basketball in the gym. Therefore I am looking to the 300 mm f/2.8. Recently I came across the Sigma 120-300 mm f/2.8 APO DG HSM (no VR) while I was in a shop and have seriously considered this third party lens as my one lens that nicely fits my shooting needs/style. That's quite a long reach (I find the 80-200 mm a bit short for sports) for a lens with reasonable cost. While adding a 300/2.8 will essentially complete my lens collection, doing so will mean my using 2 lenses to cover that useful range (for my style of shooting), not to mention that it will cost me a leg to acquire this lens (I just bought the D3s). Therefore the question is, will this Sigma 120-300/2.8 make a nice compromise for me?<br />I know that lenses should take priority over the camera, but I never figured on meeting the Sigma 120-300/2.8 while I was saving up for the Nikon 300/2.8. I suddenly realized that some third party lenses cover focal lengths not seen in Nikon line-up, which makes them very attractive options. I have not seen much review or feedback on the net re the Sigma lens, but note the seeming consensus that you take risk on quality for third party lenses. Copy variation is a significant issue with third party lenses. I have friends who tried the Tokina and swear that the Tokina is better in terms of sharpness but not in terms of AF speed. I have never used third party lenses and am wondering if anyone can give proper advise for the focal lengths I need to cover (2 good Nikon lenses versus one "cheap" third party lens). Am i risking myself by going to non-Nikon lenses for the range?<br />Regards,</p>

<p>I recommend renting the Sigma and trying it out. I have read reports of alignment and centering problems with this lens and a friend of mine didn't buy a copy because of it. Another is very happy with the lens though. Some stated that they had to try several copies to find a good one. Not sure how much this is worth as I would be afraid that it might develop problems later on. All these reports are fairly dated, I don't know if these problems have been overcome/corrected.<br>

I would expect the Nikon 300/2.8 be better than the 120-300/2.8 - it better be for almost twice the price.<br>

Which Tokina are you talking about?</p>

<p>I don't know the Sigma lens but a very different way to get the 120-300 mm reach could be to buy a DX-body (D300s) and use it with the 80-200. <br />Pros: This solution is nearly half the price.<br /> You could have the 24-70 mounted at the D3s at the same time.<br />Cons: You wont get the excellent good ISO-performance that the D3s has.</p>

<p>I have the 120-300. This is the third sample -- the first had dead AF out of the box, after about 3 months I was given a loaner until the next production batch was available. The third sample is a good lens, but given the model history, I cross my fingers each time I shoot.<br>

Given that you have the D3S, the ISO-meister, I would suggest by-passing the 120-300 and getting the 100-300 F4 for half the price, half the weight, and arguably better MTF results (per Sigma's website). If I had the D3S, that is what I would do.</p>

<p>I have the Sigma 120-300. Like Ian my first copy was DOA. But I blame that on the VERY POOR packing job that Amazon did with the lens. They shipped it to me in the display box. By UPS who is known to throw boxes around. Second copy I got from B&H. It works like a charm. The 120-300 is sharper wide open then my 80-200 and sharper then my shooting partners 70-200.<br>

I shoot equestrian events with this lens. On a busy weekend I might hit 14K exposures. It has never let me down.<br>

If you can rent one do it. I am not so sure that 300mm will be long enough for baseball on a D3s</p>

<p>Unfortunately where I reside (Asia), there are no loaners available locally where I can try the lens. For my associates who have tried the Sigma 18-200, all of the lenses they tried had either back or front focus issues which was never corrected either by Sigma or by replacement lenses provided by the stores. That has me concerned about third party lenses as I know these photographers to be of considerable experience to warrant respect in terms of their opinion. To date they have no experience with the 120-300.<br>

I've seen issues raised in fora about softness of focus, problems of left focus versus right soft focus, etc. about the 120-300 which has me worried. I do not do test chart shooting and would thus be unable to pick up this issue until well underway to probably months of use of the lens before I would take notice.<br>

The 100-300/4.0 is also available here and seems to be reasonably priced and covers the FL I want for one lens. But then again I would want to have some more feedback on this before I buy the lens.<br>

As to Tokina, I dont have a particular lens in mind but would appreciate any feedback if any of the lenses from this manufacturer also covers the range I need. But so far, I have not seen any response as to the general reputation of Tokina lenses in terms of IQ, quality, etc.<br>

Thanks again.</p>

<p>Chris<br>

If you look around on my Flickr page you can see some of the things I have shot with this lens.<br>

<a href="http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2752/4446771702_30bf8ac3c2_o.jpg">http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2752/4446771702_30bf8ac3c2_o.jpg</a><br>

What are the return policy's like? Can you buy it and go out and shoot a brick wall? There are some very fast and easy ways to check out a lens.</p>

<p>Michael, return policies in Asia are practically non-existent. Which is why I posed the question in this forum, hoping to find some practical advice from those who have tried the third party lenses.<br>

Your photo posted looks very nice and it makes me kind of willing to try the 120-300/2.8 of Sigma.<br>

SInce there has not been much said about the said lens, I will ask some of friends who take to photography for a living as see if anyone of them has ever tried this lens. A good number of them are routine SIgma users and swear by its value for money. Looking at the photo link you posted has me hopeful I will finally find the lens that will fulfill my need at the long end for my photographic needs.<br>

Thank you to all who contributed to this thread.</p>