Got my Zeikos battery grip for my D300 today and...

james_kennedy9

<p>found nothing not to like, except the very fine print on the instruction sheet that was hard to read. I was very hesitant to buy this item given the disparity in prices between this item and the Nikon product. But I did a search on this forum and learned that most people had a positive experience with it. Thanks for all the good info. I am a pure amateur and don't plan on stressing the grip.<br>

Question: when I turn the power off on the camera with the normal switch on the top plate, the camera turns off even if the grip power switch is still turned on. Does this mean that I am not draining the battery in the grip. If so, that would be more handy than having to turn two power switches on and off every time I use the camera. I assume the tripod mount onthe grip is robust enough to do the job. If not, I would like to know about it. I purchased the grip through Amazon.<br>

I haved also augmented my supply of batteries by using the Opteka battery also purchased via Amazon. So far the Opteka has been a good performer and its cost is $14.95. If it has a premature death, I will let you know.<br>

I rarely depart from the Nikon brand, but this was worth a try. I plan on leaving the grip mounted all the time except when changing the battery in the camera. I purchased my D300 used just a few months ago, and am very pleased, but it is like learning a new computer language, even though I also own the D70 since 2004, the D200 and the D90.</p>

<p>if the zeikos grip is as similar to the nikon model as everyone says, then i doubt the grip has a separate power switch. i believe the feature you're referring to simple enables/disables the vertical shutter, and has no relation to powering the camera on or off.<br>

as for the tripod mount: the nikon grip is constructed with the same alloy as the D300/D700 bodies, which gives me no hesitation about using it on the tripod. if your zeikos' grip uses identical materials, i'd feel just as confident. besides, any super-heavy lens will have its own tripod foot, so the camera body wouldn't be supporting too much weight.<br>

finally, EN-EL3e batteries work fine in the grip, but the real advantage of having one, in my view, is the faster frame rate you can get with AAs or a D3 battery. if you haven't given AAs an go in your grip, you really ought to 'em.</p>

My main gripe with the zeikos grip is the build quality of the AF selection point doodad (I'm using the technical term for it). It feels really flimsy and mine will sometimes get stuck in the up position, which I think actually drains the battery.

<p>For the price, the zeikos grip is well made. I've had mine for over 9months now. My heavy D700 hangs over my shoulder on a 3rd party strap that is attached to the bottom screw plate of the zeikos. No problems so far.</p>

<p>I too was paranoid, so I checked the construction of the grip. Although the whole grip is not made of metal... the bottom plate is reinforced with a metal plate. Any magnet will show you this.</p>