evoke reactions during photoshoot...

<p>I am currently during some portrait photos in the rural areas in my country, I live in Colombia, I have noticed in some videos or discussions that great photographers, while doing portraits, evoke reactions from their portrait subjects by guiding them into uncomfortable areas of discussion or asking them psychologically probing questions. My question is, what could I ask my portrait subjects? should I ask them about their kids (which is always a very sensible question), about death... <br>

If anyone could help me out with this it would be of great help. thanx for reading this.</p>

<p>One of the things we try to do as portrait photographers is to reveal something of the inner life of a person. Put most people in front of a camera, and they don't know what to do. They smile, they smirk, they mug for the camera. None of this works, being good for amateur snapshots at best. </p>

<p>To reveal the subject, we try first to understand them (in whatever time we have). What characteristic of the subject best reveals them to us? Sometimes it involves asking probing questions to try to find out what motivates them, excites them, makes them happy, angry, sad. Sometimes we ask them to remember these events in their lives.</p>

<p>Sometimes I remind subjects that I take the job of presenting them to the world very seriously, and that the world should see their character and depth in the portrait. But something different might be required for every subject. Sometimes this involves psychodrama. Sometimes it involves just interacting with the subject to find moments when they drop their guard. If the subject doesn't have a natural ability to actively project forward, sometimes I ask them to bring music that is meaningful to them, and then watch their expressions as they get involved in the music. </p>

<p>Strangely enough, a moment of pathos often says a lot about a subject and his/her history. Some looks say "I've seen a lot, and suffered, but I had the strength to carry on, and I did not shy away from feeling, and I still know how to love." Of course, not everyone has that kind of depth.</p>

<p>I am a big fan of dialog with my subjects to get the mood / reflection that I am looking for for every image. As to what to ask the subject, this comes easier if you take 15-20 minutes to start building a relationship before the subject gets infront of the camera. With me, the conversation never stops, I just trasnsition into the camera room, while talking. I am usually going for smiles, but not always. </p>

<p>I am a big fan of dialog with my subjects to get the mood / reflection that I am looking for for every image. As to what to ask the subject, this comes easier if you take 15-20 minutes to start building a relationship before the subject gets infront of the camera. With me, the conversation never stops, I just trasnsition into the camera room, while talking. I am usually going for smiles, but not always. </p><div>00WF1y-236653584.jpg.6fc222ad4274c1873a51719dc29fdb28.jpg</div>

<p>what is the underlying premise of your project?</p>

<p>Your question presents the evidence that a portrait is as much about the photographer as it is about the subject of the portrait.</p>

<p>You need to determine how you want your subjects (and you!) to be perceived, before you direct their consciousness so specifically that an observer of their portrait will arrive at a pre-constructed impression of who these people are and what they are thinking. That impression will be created by the questions you asked them during the portrait session... t</p>

<p>Some of my clients are natural posers, which is great, we all have fun and it makes for good pictures. For those clients who are not, a rapport is vital, i find that even those who feel really awkward being photographed relax and shoot better after half an hour of banter. Use whatever you have at your disposal. One of my clients turned up with her mum, and to get a really relaxed laugh her mum ended up dancing behind me as i shot, it was hysterical, and absolutely worked.</p>

<p>I also remember seeing an Avedon documentary, and he famously had some, at the time, contraversial clients, the Duke and Duchess of Windsor, and he knew they were dog lovers, so he pretended he had ran over a dog on the drive in and shot them as they reacted. Fine if you are Avedon, but im not sure it would make your clients happy until you reach such lofty heights!</p>