Traveling to UK for the first time

jamie_adams

<p>I am traveling to Ireland for the first time in August; and want to carry a some kind of camera support. I have a big Manfrotto with a Kirk BH-1 ball head; this is too much for our time there. We will be taking public transportation. I have a Kirk L-bracket, and a quick release, any suggestions for a small tripod? I have a Nikon D 700, Nikkor 24-70 2.8, and a MB-D10 drive. I can leave the drive at home, for weight.<br /> Many thanks!!</p>

<p>I travel to the UK often and have taken my tripod with me, only to be told (in London) that I can't use it in some areas. So last time I opted for a Gorillapod Focus. It can handle 5kg and I just put my Kirk BH3 on it. It works surprising well. Even had a 100-400mm on it. Of course, if you need the height and are in the middle of a field, you will be kicking yourself for not bringing a tripod with you. It might be worth checking out if you could rent something while overseas too.</p>

<p>Ireland- or at least the larger southern part- is not in the UK- and is a completely independent country <br>

If you're relying on public transport then I hope you're checking out that trains and buses can get you where you want to go. It is not the case that in the UK or Ireland that public transport can get you to the most beautiful rural locations, though if you're going from town to town you should be OK. And therein lies the logistics problem with tripods. Most times, walking the streets with a tripod in a UK or Irish town or city is fine. Then you'll come across an area that looks public but isn't and a security guard who will delight in telling you just that, and is telling you that you can't photograph at all because you've got "Pro" equipment. And then you'll go into a museum or gallery, to find out not only that you can't use the tripod there but that unless you check it you won't be able to go in either. </p>

<p>My strategy here is always to stay very central, mostly walk around without a tripod but always able to get back to my hotel to grab it if I want to do something in particularly low light or at night. Personally I like the Manfrotto 190 tripods since I like their leg locks better than Gitzo. Aluminium if budget is an issue, CF if you're prepared to trade quite a bit more money for a small reduction in weight. </p>