Is the 7d worth the extra money over a 50d for amateur sports

matthew_lynes

<p>This summer I have an opportunity to cover some of the races for a local triathlon club and need an additional body which will become the primary body to ensure that I have a backup (current body is a 450d).<br>

From looking at the triathlon club's website their current photo's all seem to be p&s stuff, ie sharp front to back but actually not that sharp so I don't think their expectations are too high.<br>

With the current rebate on the 50d, in the UK this is half the price of a 7d. My main lens for these events would be the 70-200 f2.8 and I'm not interested in the 7d's speedlite triggering or video features.<br>

My tendency is for the 50d, what does everyone think and apologies if this question has been done before.</p>

<p>Would you have any need for the 7d for your other shooting needs after this event is over? It is, for all intent a purposes, a better body. However, a better body is only useful if you are using all its potential. I get the impression that you might not do so in the near future. So my humble opinion would be to recommend the very good 50d and maybe, invest in better glass.</p>

<p>The 50D will do a not so shabby 6.3 frames per second. So, nothing earth shattering when comparing frame rates with the 7D. It's a great camera with a nice feature set. If you don't need the additional features of the 7D, it will be a great choice for your application and will serve you well for future needs.</p>

<p>Both cameras will yield good results. The 7D is the better camera here, especially because of the improved AF that will benefit you with shooting moving targets. Like I've written before, the 7D with the 100-400 is a killer combi. I had trouble with the AF of my 40D, which is the same as that of the 50D I believe. Whether it is worth double the price, is always relative. If you dont have it, dont buy the 7D. If you have it, you will not regret your choice. See my earlier posts on the 7D for other strengths of the 7D.</p>

<p>I plan on getting a 7D at some point in the near future, but I shoot a lot of low-light sports and could use the improved AF and higher ISO abilities (currenlty using a 40D). If you are shooting mainly during the day most of the time, then you'd probably do fine with the 50D.</p>

<p>I don't have 7D, its certainly a better camera, I didn't find it worth 800$ more than 50D.<br>

<a href="../photodb/user?user_id=3971392">Nathan</a> makes some good points.<br>

May be people who own both will give you a precise openion.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I used the 50D and now use the 7D. With good light and reasonably predictable subjects I do not see much of a difference between the two. Running, swimming, or bycicling athletes should be within the 50D's AF capabilities - if the light is not too difficult. I think you will do fine with the 50D and 70-200 f2.8; no need for the 7D. <br>

The 7D is a significantly better body for sure; it's just that I do not think it would show much of its improved high ISO and AF capabilities under these conditions. </p>

<p>I don't have the 50D but I do haqve a 7D and 5DII. I beleive that the 5DII has very similar AF to the 50D (basically the same but with the additional AF assist points). While I can (and have) shot ice hockey and ski racing with the 5DII the 7D AF has a much better hit rate. For low light ice hockey the 5DII is about 90% of shots in sharp focus - compared to about 96 - 97% with the 7D. You should probably understand the shooting conditions as the ISO limit can be a factor. I find the 7D is quite good at ISO 800, reasonable at ISO 1600 and can be used with care at ISO 3200. Unfortunately for ice hockey (even with an F2.8 lens) you can end up shooting at ISO 3200 where the 5DII images are much higher quality. I am not sure about the 50D vs the 7D but I understand that the 7D has better high ISO performance than the 50D.</p>

<p>The 7D has better high-ISO performance than the 50D and slightly faster fps rate. I see neither of those as important to the type of shooting that you describe, so the 50D should serve you very well. You're proposing a very good lens, which is a most important consideration.</p>