1.6X body 1.4X or 2X extender and 300mm f4.L looking for sample photos

awahlster

<p>Hi Mark. I see you are doing lots of research on your voyage into a DSLR. Just adding a few thoughts. At first I went the Canon FD-EOS 1.26x converter route for my FD 400/2.8 L and FD 200/2.8 IF. The converter is almost unnoticeable with respect to image quality as it effects even less than the 1.4x-A. While I gained a little in length which was nice I did not like my f2.8 lenses becoming f3.5, but not a huge problem.</p>

<p>I had decided to go with a Canon DSLR (the 10D, about 4 years ago) since my wife had an EOS film body with a couple of lenses. The FD-EOS converter allowed me too keep my telephotos to use on both the film and digital SLRs. Then I sold the rest of my FD equipment (could not afford to keep them) and invested in Nikon manual focus lenses with Nikon-EOS adapters, from 14mm to 50mm. Switching to manual focus Nikon lenses made the transition affordable for me while maintaining an extremely high level of glass quality.</p>

<p>I liked the Nikon lenses so much and did not mind the stopped-down metering method that I took the opportunity to sell the two FD telephotos and made a huge profit on the FD-EOS 1.26x adapter. Ended up with the Nikon 400/2.8 AIS and Nikon 200/2 AI.</p>

<p>Two years ago I sold the EOS equipment and switched to Nikon F-mount DSLRs, a crop body D2X and full frame Kodak SLRn. I will likely stick to Nikon crop bodies but would switch back to an EOS full frame DSLR in a heartbeat for the right body and price. I am currently researching my first autofocus Nikon lens for my kid's sports, and first zoom in 25 years for that matter.</p>

<p>If you do find yourself in need of specialty lenses that you can live with manual focus for, the big advantage of Canon film and digital slrs is that just about every 35mm lens ever made, other than FD of course, can be used with adapters. </p>

<p>While I would opt for the 1Ds or 5D to start, I do understand your draw to the 7D, especially for telephoto and video.</p>