Album preview?

stephaniesaniga

<p>After you design an album, do you show it to the client before printing?<br>

I usually don't, and the couples have been thrilled with their books, but I just have a suspicion this bride is going to be pickier than most. I'm afraid to show her ahead of time, because I'm outsourcing the design for the first time (Hall Album Design, which I found through photo.net! - they're awesome!) and it's not like I'm doing it myself and can totally revamp the thing over and over. I have two revision opportunities, and I've used one to make changes I saw.<br>

I'm tempted to print it and then present it to her. I never said I'd show them ahead of time. What do you all think?</p>

<p>we show and get authorization from the clients prior to printing. the last thing you want is to deliver an album to a client and she does not like it and she was not involved whatsoever in it as well.</p>

<p>but if you are covered in a contract for the way you do things now then it is ok...otherwise i can see big problems eventually..you been lucky so far.</p>

<p>We make a preview CD with the designs - just has a pdf with all the pages on it as I prefer the couple to see the design first and sign it off - they can make a few changes if they want, but to be honest not many do.<br>

In the last year I think I've had couples make 2 changes - one was replacing an image with another similar image and the other was cropping an image slightly to crop someone out of it. Both took about 2 minutes. I allow up to 1 hour of my time for changes (it's written in the contract), but it's never needed.<br>

I just like the fact that the couple have approved the design and I know they like it, as some albums aren't cheap to buy, so it gives me peace of mind that I'm not going to have to buy another one.<br>

But saying that, if you don't work that way and never have then I don't see why you should change now, do you think she'll not like it? It's difficult, if you're worried you could show her beforehand, just to put your mind at ease. You could mention you are just showing it to her, you don't have to mention that she will get any changes. Just show her to see her reaction.</p>

<p>If you're "allowed" 2 changes, then proceed as you say and use your remaining option to make changes if requested. If she requests changes, let her know that she has one option and to be careful about her requests. Also, let her know upfront what it will cost if she wants another round of changes. She may think it's $25 when it may be $100 or whatever. Either way, it's less expensive to have the changes made before the album is made....-Aimee</p>

<p>I would never send an album to a client who hasn't proofed it, expanding on the metaphor that the client is the editor (and you and whomever designs the album are the author) why would you not want any extra input after the final touches are placed? If you only allow two revision opportunities, why short them out of another opportunity? If they decide on another series of revisions, I would make certain my contract contained provisions for that as well.</p>

<p>IMO there is entirely to much done without contracts that spell out things, and assumptions, "guesstimates", and just plain feelings make up way to much of the legal side of a lot of wedding photography. I don't mean to sound like a curmudgeon here, but you really must anticipate more in terms of spelling things out legally, we all balk at people having uncle bob do the wedding photography, so why is it okay for all the wedding photographers to not PAY an attorney to draft a contract, they are every bit as valuable as the best lenses and every bit as important to good client relations AFTER the wedding. <br>

I'm sure it's not as sexy or glamorous to sit down with the couple and hash out a 4-5 page contract going over the when, wheres, how much, how soon, and how little they get, but I would be stunned if any of your clients would think you were being anything other than the consummate professional.</p>

<p>OTH........Huge 60 page album, proofed by the bride, sent out, came back.........the date of her wedding was wrong....so.....what do I know anyway?.........but my contract had a provision for this too.........mainly it was me eating the cost of the reprint. There was no question about what was to happen, and absolutely no problems. True, I should have spotted it, and little omissions like the year of the wedding can be innocently overlooked, but that's why I have the client proof. In this case, all went fine, and I get many referrals from this client for weddings and albums by themselves.</p>

<p>Hope this helps and wasn't to grumpy sounding.</p>

<p>Daniel's answer is the safe one, but I intentionally don't contract out of every possible situation. I have recognized ahead of time that if something goes wrong, I'm generally the one who has to give. If I misprint the album date--of course I'm obligated for full replacement, that's not even a question. If clients need more album adjustments, I provide what I need to make the client happy. I'm reluctant to spend a long time going over contracts, (here the wet blanket argument really resonates) or even have a long contract drafted. You have to decide how risk averse you are to lawsuits. I just have decided that if something goes bad, I will eat the cost and that's a cost of doing business.</p>

<p>Now I used to work as a paralegal, and I have free (family) legal help if something goes wrong, so I don't get intimidated by lawsuits for little contract disputes (I carry insurance to insulate myself against tort claims) and I have decided the transaction costs are too high to use a 4-5 page fine-print contract--even if the cost of drafting it initially is low.</p>

<p>That said, Daniel's answer is the safe answer and is the one that a competent lawyer would advise. Do what he says.</p>

<p>Yes, I show it to each client.</p>

<p>In PS I flatten each spread and make jpegs of ea. album page and I have an action to put my logo on the page and I put the album up on Picassa for review. Most of the time I don't even put a logo on the pages as I get a nice up-front deposit. I email the link to the client and they control who else they may want to view the pages. I find this works as my clients are very busy and this is a time saver for them. And I receive an email with the approval before I proceed into printing & mounting.<br /> <br /> Most albums I make are expensive and I don't put constraints on changes. I feel I haven't been "had" so far. Works for me!<br /> <br /> My best to you for a terrific 2010.<br /> <br /> Hope this helps you!</p>