D300 lost matrix metering

david_mccormick

<p>Hey, folks: <br>

I went to shoot an event tonight and when I turned on the D300 with 12-24 f/4 DX lens, the camera was in spot focus mode, despite the fact that the metering switch was on the matrix setting. I changed the metering mode switch, removed and replaced the battery, took the lens off and replaced it, swapped in a 17-55 DX lens, did the green button reset, all to no avail. I finally tried the red button reset and it did not seem to do the clear-the-settings reset. I was able to shoot in aperture priority, but it was clear that it was still in spot metering mode. I was able to use exposure compensation to change the exposure to something reasonable. Ultimately, I put the camera in manual mode and got fine shots.<br>

However, have any of you had the metering mode go haywire and if so, what did you do to fix it? <br>

Thanks, David. </p>

<p>L:</p>

<p>Bad contacts on the lenses? Bad contacts on the metering switch? Bad contacts on the Trash and Mode switches (that do the two-button hard format)? The latter can't be true because the normal Trash or Mode functions work just fine? </p>

<p>Thanks, David.</p>

<p>From time to time, I have had a similar problem with my D300. Look at the "focus-mode selector" on the front of the camera body and make sure it is on either "S" or "C". I found that if it is in "M" you get just this apparent effect of a "spot focus" which you cannot change by altering the AF-mode selector on the back of the camera. I just put it on "S" and AF-mode to "matrix" and then switched the camera off/on. Works every time.<br>

During shooting, I hold the lens close to the camera and my thumb must push the "focus-mode selector" switch back to "M".<br>

Hope this helps.</p>

<p> </p>