35 mm doubt.

<p>Hi folks,<br>

I'm in a crossroad. I have a Summilux 35mm pre-asph f1.4 for two years ago and I'm happy but ... I feel that some of my pics has a too many flares or ghosts. Althought, I have the f1.4 (not usuful most of the time) and recently I'm thinking of sell my summilux and take a summicron pre-asph. I heard that the cron is better than the lux at f2 ... And what about color rendition? And softness and sharpness?<br>

Please I need comments and suggests. I don't know if is a stupidity to change the lens or not. Maybe I'm looking for the perfect lens (that doesn't exist...) and I need to choose the most practical and well-balanced glass for me.<br>

Should I take a cron or keep my lux?<br>

thanks a lot.</p>

<p>My 35 Summilux flares into the light and I have to be very careful with it. I also have a version 2 35 Summicron and a 35 Asph Summicron. The version 2 Summicron is usually ignored by Leica fans but it's my most often used 35 Leica lens. The Asph is the best optically and flare is rarely a problem. All the Summicrons are excellent and you can't go wrong with one. </p>

<p>Charles -- I remember way back to when I was deciding on which 35mm lens to start with - it was between the 35 lux - like the one you have -- and the 35 Summicron ASPH -- I went with the Summicron - not because of flaring or ghosting -- but because of weight - and price. I'm glad I did. The Summicron is an outstanding performer -- I've never had issues with it - never. <br>

I will say -- every now and again - I wish I had the 'lux, too! </p>

<p>I agree the 35 pre asph lux at 1.4 has can be unpredictable in certain types of light. I'd be wary to use it on film where I couldn't preview results.<br>

But from f2 on, it has performed as well as my v3, v4, and very close to my asph cron so I always use the lux.<br>

I have a minty v3 cron if you're thinking of trading.</p>

<p>About 10 years ago, I was in the market for a used Leica 35. A local store had both a Summilux and a Summicron (both late pre-ASPH models), and the prices were not very different. The owner kindly let me try both lenses for a week. <br>

The Summilux was OK, but really didn't produce the kind of remarkable results that I was expecting from a Leica lens. It would have been my choice if I absolutely had to have the extra stop of speed and was willing to sacrifice in other areas, but most of my work was outdoors and the Summicron was brilliant in every situation I tried.<br>

I bought the Summicron, still have it and it's still my favorite lens.</p>

<p>The first Leitz 35mm I bought was the pre-asph lux. The images at F1.4 were soft, nowadays people call this the Leica glow. The colours were a bit cool. Sharpness was OK.</p>

<p>I decided to switch to the pre-asph Cron. It was sharp at all apertures, the colours were vibrant and contrast was outstanding. And it was small and light. What a world of difference! I endorsed an earlier poster, I had not had any issues with it at all. And I bought it, what, 20 years ago? No, must be closer to 25!</p>

<p>One final word, no matter how flare resistant your lens is, always use a lens hood, even at night.</p>

Over the years, I have had two pre-asph Summiluxes - in both cases, they were worthless below about f/4. In fact, I got rid of the first one because I thought there was something was wrong with it.

Overall the pre-asph Summicron is a much better performer. And since (at least IMHO) the Summilux is worthless wide open (there is a reason why so few were produced), I really don't get what you're giving up with the Summicron.

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra

<p>Seems I have a better sample than Bill. I use it wide open, and it is soft, but I like its character.<br>

Yes, you have to be careful with bright light sources just out of the frame, they can produce heavy flare. But inside the frame lightsources are ok, but coma is very pronounced.<br>

Like always, if you know your tools, you can get the best out of them.<br>

I think this lens people either love or hate. </p><div>00WC6r-235279584.jpg.bc01be28d4d0eaf5c96c393795c885e2.jpg</div>