F100: focus resets after firing shutter.

zane_yau

<p>I am a pretty new owner of F100 (but have used Nikon DSLRs for quite a few years). I've done some searches which I can't find the answer. Can someone please advise me on the following scenario?<br /><br />What happens when I take photos of a foreground subject (like a portrait) with the F100:<br /><br />1. Focus on a subject<br />2. Recompose<br />3. Fire shutter<br />4. Focus lock releases and focuses on the background because I have recomposed<br /><br />With the DSLR I have, it remains locked after the firing of shutter which saves time if I want to take a few shots continuously.<br /><br />Is this an issue with the camera or is it able to be reset with customs fuctions?<br /><br />Thanks in advance for any helps!<br /><br />Zane</p>

<p>One of the custom settings allows you to enable and disable autofocus functioning via the shutter release button. Disable AF from the release button and then use either of the thumb buttons to obtain and lock focus; AE-L/AF-L, provided it is configured properly in yet another custom setting, or simply use the AF-ON button. Thank our friends at MIR for their extensive and very helpful site:<br>

<a href="http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/htmls/models/specroom98/f100/f100csmset.htm">http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/htmls/models/specroom98/f100/f100csmset.htm</a></p>

<p>Looking at the instruction manual, it appears that what you want can be achieved by holding the AEL/AFL button down in continuous servo AF mode, and as long as you have the shutter button partway down in Single servo mode. If you let go of the button altogether, it will refocus, but it should hold if you keep it partway down between shots. The manual is a bit ambiguous about whether or not keeping the AFL button down will work the same in continuous mode. It might. </p>

<p>If you want only the focus to lock with the AEL/AFL button , but not the exposure, use custom setting 21, number 2.</p>

<p>You might also experiment with custom setting 4, which allows you to disable the start of autofocus when the shutter button is pressed. You would then start autofocus using the AF start button only. I don't know whether or not it would stay focused then after locking, but it should be easy enough to find out.</p>

<p>Note: I have the manual here, but my wife is the F100 user, and she almost never uses AF, so she can't help us on this.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thanks a lot Lilly/Matthew (and your wife) and Edward!<br>

I will give that a try - both the half press method and the AF Lock method. I would try not to use the AF lock button though as this is something I am not familiar with at all...</p>

<p>There are a few ways to tackle the problem. First, if you only release the shutter button halfway, to the point where it engages the autofocus, then it will retain your focus lock. Another way is to use the AF-ON button and keep it pressed after the focus locks. You can remove your finger from the shutter release and not lose focus. You do not even have to disable autofocus using the shutter button for this to work. Finally, you can disable the autofocus from the shutter button, use continous servo AF and stay away from the AF-ON button once you are happy with the focus.<br>

<br /> I just tried these with my F100.<br>

<br /> Hope that helps!</p>