Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G --- WHERE?

arthuryeo

<p>Nikon USA's press release says (http://www.photo.net/equipment/nikon/new-fx-wideangle-lenses/preview/):</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The ultra-fast AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4 G ED lens will be available in late March 2010 for estimated selling price of...</p>

</blockquote>

<p>If I am not wrong, today is April 7, where is this lens in the US? I know no dealers selling this lens.</p>

<p>As far as I know, this lens was released and sold in other markets before April in the Middle-east, Europe and lately Canada. Why is the US market placed so low in priority list?</p>

<p>There's a new trend among camera equipment manufacturers when it comes to fulfilling what they promise to release to the market; it can be summed up in one small word --- LATE!</p>

<p>My guess - I see and hear "some" complaints in the past few months regarding the US custom when importing "relatively" expensive goods, e.g. watches, gudgets, etc., namely it takes much longer than before.</p>

<p>I recently bought Panasonic's new P&S and time lag of the release here from the release in Japan (the model is made in Japan) was about two weeks. So, this lens was released on March 19 in Japan and it is April 7 and obviously more than two weeks - but there was the easter or passover week and that might explain the extra delay. B&H - the biggest retailer for Nikon in US - had been closed until yesterday for a week or so, too.</p>

<p>I highly doubt that US market is placed so low in Nikon's priority list. I believe US is the TOP priority market outside Japan, like many other products/brands - evidence is that the products are priced cheaper in US than in Japan and many other markets.</p>

<p>Just my 2 yen.</p>

<p>As far as I know, there have been a few samples released in the US. My local shop sold one that was pre-ordered and from what I understand it's a crazy piece of glass.</p>

<p>Keep in mind Nikon fiscal year ended March 31 and Nikon USA does a complete inventory around this time. All shipments to dealers are stopped for 10 days to accommodate this.</p>

<p>Store stocks for Nikon equipment and the 24mm f/1.4 should be shipping next week based on this schedule.</p>

<p>At $2200, this lens is hardly being manufactured at a high rate, and is aimed at the high-end professional photographer. I can't imagine that many people will purchase this lens for general use. I can remember people balking at the $1800 price for a used Nikon 28mm f1.4 lens, and I expect people to balk at the price of this lens as well. I'd be willing to pay $900 for the 24mm f1.4 but not $2200. That price is a joke.</p>

<p>Well the lens may indeed be worth 2200 -but- anyone contemplating spending that much on a lens should necessarily ask themselves if the lens will be used to make money with. If the answer is no, then probably it is not a wise purchase. I am the worst offender, having bought a number of lenses of which none is used in a business. They could be, but they are not and so I have over 20000 tied up in lenses not including camera bodies and all the other stuff that goes into photography. So I think buying a lens for 2200 and not using it in a business is a waste. However it sure is nice to have great pro-level equipment to use and enjoy...just now with what I know, I could put together a really nice kit with a 24-70, a new 70-200, and a D3s body with a Zeiss 100/2 makroplanar and have a totally useable and transportable kit to use for a lifetime. Three lenses and a great hi-iso camera body that would take great photos well in excess of what 99.99% of any amateur photogs could ever want or use. Not a cheap kit by any means, but also not 35000 in the hole either.</p>

<p>Again, if the gear is used professionally to make money in a legitimate business, then that changes everything. For an amateur, that pushes the boundaries of common sense. </p>

<p>Keith - each to their own I think. I have $10000 in gear that I never intend to make a cent from, and will gladly buy more including at some point the new 24mm prime. I don't think it's a crime to invest in one's enjoyment. My other example is the money I put into gaining a pilot's license and flying, for totally recreational and non-professional purposes. To me what pushes the boundaries of common sense is working hard and earning money but not using some of that money to enjoy life, relax, and do things that one wants to do.</p>

<p>May be it is time to seek alternative brands that has stock in their inventory rather than banging on a door that may never open. I did that once with Leica and I have since spit on that brand and have never turned back due to their inability to manage customers' expectations.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Sigma makes a superb 30mm f1.4 lens for only $350. I think that is a far better value than the Nikon 24mm f1.4 for $2200. Sorry Nikon, we're not all rich around here. I may end up buying the Sigma 30mm f1.4 lens this summer.</p>

<p>Arthur, Canon L lenses are superb. Nikon is trying to catch up after 20 years. I had a Canon Powershot Pro1 with an L lens. It was an amazing camera in its day. The Nikon P6000 outdoes it at this point though, however the Pro1 had a 28-200mm equivalent zoom lens though. I miss that.</p>

<p>While I can relate to your problem, I don't think that other camera companies are any better in this respect. Also, early reports of this lens are pretty positive, which might lead to strong initial demand (relatively speaking...) In a manufacturing company, somebody makes an educated guess for how many are sold and then an equivalent amount is manufactured. If the guess is too low then ramping up the production takes time and there will be shortages for weeks or months. Even big companies make large errors in estimating demand, so it's not all impossible that this would have happened.<br>

You could always consider ordering from abroad.</p>

<p>if someone becomes very stressed and upset because they experience a several weeks' delay obtaining a non-life-sustaining product, that is sad. there is a world of real, serious problems out there that should stress and upset people greatly, but instead they worry about being first to obtain some shiny new status symbol.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Well the lens may indeed be worth 2200 -but- anyone contemplating spending that much on a lens should necessarily ask themselves if the lens will be used to make money with. If the answer is no, then probably it is not a wise purchase.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>From a business standpoint, sure. However, not everything can or should be based upon purely financial considerations.</p>

<blockquote>

</blockquote>

<blockquote>

<p>But if you can't wait, you can and should go for other brands and I completely understand that.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yeah, the Leica 24mm/f1.4 Summilux M is in stock:<br>

<a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/586206-USA/Leica_11_601_24mm_f_1_4_Summilux_M_Aspherical.html">http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/586206-USA/Leica_11_601_24mm_f_1_4_Summilux_M_Aspherical.html</a></p>

<p>To imitate the FX functionality of the 24/1.4 on a DX body, you'd need something like a 16/1.0 DX. I bet that wouldn't be cheap either.</p>

<p>Hang on Arthur, I'm sure you'll be able to get the 24/1.4 Nikkor some time this spring. We've waited so many years for a fast autofocus wide angle so a few weeks are not going to make a difference. </p>