What Is The Longest Manual Focus Focal Length You Can Hand Hold With M4/3 ?

ruben_bittermann

<p>A decade ago, with film, the limit focal length I could hand hold was a 500 mm mirror lens. By then the image was 'dancing' in my hands but still could be focused with some pain.<br />Now with my G-1 I cannot manual focus without tripod the equivalent of 300mm as the image dances too much for me. Perhaps it is my eyes or/and hands stability and I have reasons to believe both have deteriorated, perhaps there is more than that.<br />Your experiences please, comparing film cameras and M4/3 for the same equiv.</p>

<p>Personally, I use a tripod for most work at focal lengths beyond 50mm, certainly for 70-100mm and above, although I've hand-held 135-200 mm non-stabilized lenses occasionally.</p>

<p>The Panasonic 45-200 OIS lens is pretty easy to hand-hold at 200mm setting with Mode 1 OIS enabled. Jitter does become troublesome with non-stabilized long lenses. </p>

<p>200mm constitutes 8x normal focal length magnification, so it should be no surprise that it is challenging to hold steadily. The diagonal FoV at 300mm is equivalent to a 600mm lens on 35mm Film format ... that's a very long lens with 12x normal magnification. I never hand-held that long a lens with anything approaching satisfactory results even when I was in my twenties. The upcoming 100-300 OIS lens should make some hand-holdable operation possible. </p>

• 3 weeks later...