lens for a canon 400d

nikki_brewster

<p>What's your budget? Individual portraits or group? Studio or candid?</p>

<p>You might be happy with something like:</p>

<ul>

<li>Canon EF-S 10-22mm</li>

<li>Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 (I'm not a huge fan of the Canon f/1.8- focussing and bokeh being the main issues)</li>

<li>Your favorite "normal zoom" (Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4, Canon 17-55 f/2.8, Canon 15-85 f/3.5-5.6, or even Canon 24-105L f/4)</li>

</ul>

<p>The choice of the normal zoom depends on your favorite focal lengths and apertures. If I shot outdoors mostly I might go for the Canon 15-85 or 24-105 for a little extra reach. If I wanted more emphasis on portraits and indoor shoting I'd go with the Tamron 17-50 or the Canon 17-55. The Sigma is the compromise between the faster zooms and the wider zoom ranges.</p>

What do you have? What will you shoot? What is the light like? And what is your budget?

Not knowing these I'll take a wild guess.

EF-s 15-85

EF 50/1.8

EF 100/2.8L IS Macro USM

This covers most needs unless you want something long. (then get one of 55-250, 70-300 or a 70-200)

<p>Let's start from the beginning.</p>

<p>If you have just bought your first dSLR and you haven't spent time testing different lenses start with the Canon 17-85mm f4-5.6. Its relatively cheap and gives a very broad range of focal lengths to try out. To go with it I'd suggest you also try the Canon 50mm f1.8 to experiment with shallow depth of field.</p>

<p>From there when you know what you use and what you like you can review your options and work out what you can justifiably spend on your next lenses. My next choices were a 10-20/22mm and 17-50/55mm f2.8. I also love my 70-200mm for something different.</p>