Nikon Repair --- My Experience

andy_smothers

<p>I wanted to share my recent experience with Nikon Repair Service. I have read the horror-stories and the blogs about using other service companies, but I still bit the bullet and sent in my D2Xs for shutter repair to Nikon in El Segundo, CA.<br>

Camera shipped overnight to Nikon on 3/17 - registered into system on 3/18 as received. On 3/19, I had my estimate for the repair work & I approve the charges. (this was not a NPS submission) --- On 3/22 the status showed Estimate Approved --- on 3/23 --- it was IN SHOP --- on 3/24 --- the camera was shipped.<br>

The only thing that I didn't like was the lack of return shipping options. I waited twice as long for UPS to deliver my box sent UPS Ground then I did for the entire process including repair. Nikon Repair should have an option to pay slightly more $ to get your shipment for something other than Ground delivery.<br>

I received my D2Xs yesterday after a 6-day shipping process & I was pleased with the work. The body appeared flawless, all rubber/grips replaced. Everything appeared polished and they even replaced my slightly scratched LCD screen. The shutter of course was replaced and tested flawlessly. In addition, the 12.84MP CMOS sensor and interior mirror needed a good cleaning & this also was done.<br>

Overall, very pleased with the work performed and the turnaround time --- especially for something not sent with usual NPS rush. For the price I paid, the repair was very fair. With that being said, this camera while a substantially powerful workhorse, is growing a bit old & it might make sense next time to just purchase a "showroom model" with around 5-10k original shots --- you know, the little box/shelf queens lying around some old guys house in Florida. :)<br>

Alas, I still enjoy using my rugged, time-tested beast that has been around the block more times than I can imagine and he is poised now for another 350,000 shots. Long Live, NIKON!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Andy, thanks for the recommendation. The D2x is indeed a workhorse and I expect to be using mine, albeit in a more limited role, probably for the rest of my life (I'm 47 years old). When the time comes, I will certainly send it in for a shutter replacement also.</p>

<p>Can anyone comment on Nikon's policy regarding keeping parts available for cameras ? I'm not sure, but I think that I read that it was 10 years after the camera's discontinuance date; can anyone confirm this ? Are there some parts that tend to run out of stock more quickly, or stay available long after the end-of-support date is reached ? What are people's experience with independent workshops that perform repairs on Nikon cameras, are there any that should be especially commended for work well done ? </p>

<p>The rule of thumb I got from Nikon USA is that if you live east of the Mississippi, you should send you repairs to Melville, New York, which is on Long Island, not far from New York City. West of the Mississippi, the repairs should go to El Segundo, which is next to the Los Angeles airport; I was just there a couple of weeks ago. The idea is to minimize shipping time.</p>

<p>I think Andy is near New Orleans. It is roughly equal shipping time from Melville and El Segundo.</p>

<p>The D2X/D2XS is a great workhouse. However, ever since the D300 was introduced, it has been showing its age. Now that the D300S has dual memory cards and video, I am afraid that in another couple of years, any D2 cameras will not be worth fixing any more. Therefore, the availability of parts will be a moot point. If you still want one, used ones will be so cheap that it does not make sense to pay for the labor to repair broken ones.</p>

<p>Recently we had another thread about replacing the shutter on a D3. Apparently at Melville they charge $350 for that: <a href="../nikon-camera-forum/00Vzwz">http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00Vzwz</a></p>

<p>When I was at El Segundo, I was shocked that they wanted at least $450, possibly $550 if they open my lens and find serious damage, to fix a stiff focusing ring on my 70-200mm/f2.8 VR version 1. My tripod was blown over by strong wind and the lens hit solid rock. The hood was smashed and I replace it. The lens has a tiny dent and the focusing ring is stiff, but AF works fine and optically it is still fine. I declined repair on the spot.</p>

<p>I had a good experience with Authorized Photo Service, formerly Nikon's midwest repair facility, last December. The AF motor on my grey market 17-35/2.8 died.</p>

<ul>

<li>Shipped 2nd day Fed Ex on Saturday 12/5/09</li>

<li>They received it Tuesday 12/8</li>

<li>That same day, they called with a firm estimate, completed the repair and shipped it back.</li>

<li>UPS ground service had it at my front door on Friday 12/11.</li>

</ul>

<p>Maybe business was slow and it's not that hard to replace a ring motor, but I was quite happy with the service. And upgrading the return delivery was available.</p>

<p>Total cost for the repair was $450 plus shipping.</p>

<div>00W7ZM-233127584.jpg.4ad3ca1abda13a8097c25d6cde52aa09.jpg</div>

<p>I have been very fortunate and have not needed to send anything to Nikon for repair in a long time with the exception of my P&S Coolpix 5700 when the sensor gave up the ghost. Nikon logged it in very quickly, and sent me an email that this would be covered under warranty since there was a advisory out for the CCD's. The problem I ran into was because this was a discontinued camera they had to send to Japan for the part, which took over two and a half weeks. Once they received the part, however, they repaired it within 24 hours and shipped it out quickly. It was also buffed up quite a bit, and they cleaned the lens and LCD thoroughly. The coating on the viewfinder window had a few scratches on it, and lo and behold, they replaced it free of charge. I am, and always will be, sold on Nikon.</p>

<p>I have had three lenses repaired by El Segundo in the last year. All three repairs were done expeditiously. Two were to lenses I had bought used and one to a lens I had bought new. The two used lenses had impact damage that was extensive and the repairs were over $500 for the 200/400 amd $200 for the 24/120. The 500 VR was repaired under warranty. That repair on the 500, a two year old lens, would have been over $500. Everything went very smoothly and the lenses were returned prompty. </p>

<p>Thanks for the responses.</p>

<p>Shun, as usual --- you are right on. However, I still cannot give up my full-size DSLR bodies, I guess old rugged habits die hard. Before going to the D300, I would have to wait for the ridiculously high (sorry, but $7k!!!) D3X prices to drop somewhat.<br>

In any case, me and my D2X are set for another several years at this point & I am a happy camper about that.<br>

Just recently hopping on the HDR bandwagon for a little fun with 7 images @ 1EV spacing. Not really my cup of tea, but it is fun to play with Adobe Lightroom & Photomatix to add a little flair to the photo fun. :)<br>

Oh, yeah --- price to repair was just south of $400 after everything, but I think was higher due to the replacement LCD screen as well as the shutter. Pretty high overall and certainly not worth putting that much into this D2Xs again, but for now it made sense to me. Call it comforting to work with a tool with some age and reliability under its proverbial belt. :)</p>

<p>Thanks,<br>

Andy</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thanks for posting your experiences - this gives me hope for my repairs. Just sent off my D70s for repairs (to the East Coast center). Am hoping & praying they can get it back to me before a trip in May. Otherwise, may have to pony up for a D300s which would mean canceling another trip later for budget reasons. I've heard some horror stories about Nikon repair - maybe they're working on improving their rep. </p>

<p>There are always horror stories for everything. I am sure Nikon repair is not 100% perfect; there must be some isolated cases where they mess up. It is human nature to complain and exaggerate the issues, especially on internet forums.</p>

<p>My general experience with Nikon USA repair is very good, but they tend to be on the expensive side. As mentioned by Tom Boston above, Authorized Photo Service (<a href="http://www.nikoncamerarepair.com/">http://www.nikoncamerarepair.com/</a>) in the Chicago area seems to be very good too. They are highly recommended by the members here. I have used them once to repair a gray-market lens and they did a fine job, but they are not inexpensive either. They are independent from Nikon USA and therefore are willing to fix gray-market products.</p>