JUST WANT A NORMAL PRIME

adam_griffith

<p> I own a 50D and used to have a 50mm f/1.8 until it was stolen :(. I've rebuilt a good chunk of my lens collection, and I was hoping to get another walkaround prime, but I found the 50mm on the crop sensor a little closed in. In an attempt to go wide, I looked very seriously at the 35mm f/2.0, but can't seem to get my hands on one. Everyone, including Adorama, BH Photo, Canon USA, Amazon, and a host of other internet sites I've trid to order it from have all told me it is back ordered indefinately. I've been at it for a week and I have a trip to Hawaii that I was hoping to use it for starting next saturday, so I was hoping to find a substitute, but nothing seems quite right. Reviews I've read of the Canon 28mm f/2.8 aren't exactly glowing (CA and questionable sharpness), the tokina 35mm f/2.8 macro seems to be rather slow (plus I don't really need a macro lens, already got a good one), and there seem to be mixed reviews on the Sigma 28mm f/1.8. Has anyone had any experiences with these lenses, or can anyone suggest a better option? I'd like to try to keep the cost below $400 if possible.<br>

Thanks for the advice!<br>

Adam</p>

<p>I suppose sample variance must account for the differing opinions but my old (circa 1990) EF 28 2.8 was very sharp and in the same ball park as my EF 35 2.0. You might consider the EF 28 1.8 USM. I've not owned one but many shooters seem to like it.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>I too was going to suggest the EF 28mm f/2.8. It's also cheaper than the 35mm f/2, but of course, slower.</p>

<p>Try looking on eBay for the 35mm f/2. There are several BIN for $275 US used and some others come up regularly for bids. It is much sought after so you need to be patient. Look at the vendors carefully and you should be all right if you pay with a credit card though PayPal.</p>

<p>IMO, f/2.8 full-frame wideangle primes are rather pointless. Might as well get a zoom, e.g. Tamron 17-50/2.8. Equally fast and equally sharp.</p>

<p>I have a Sigma 30/1.4. Wonderful lens - really nice colors and contrast and the bokeh is super smooth. However be aware that the edges are soft. Stopping down helps a bit, but doesn't eliminate this weakness. This is not a landscape/astronomy/copystand lens where sharpness across the frame is essential. Best used for portraiture and creative low-light shooting where the edges and corners are filled with defocused mush. Shooting this lens wide open is really fun.</p>

<p>I hear good things about 35/2 and 28/1.8. I've played with 35/2 and it gets really sharp and contrasty when stopped down a bit. Sigma 28/1.8 reportedly has wonderful bokeh but really, really, slow, AF.</p>

<p>The 24L II is an amazing lens, had it a few weeks now and I love it. The bokeh is great (not as good as my 50L though), it's super sharp, even at 1.6-1.8 and 1.4 is sharper than the 50L at 1.4 too.<br>

I think on a FF the 24 compliments a 50mm well. On a crop I think the 35L would do the job perfectly.</p>

<p>Arie's on the right track. Tamron 17-50mm 2.8. I had a 50 1.8mm and the Tamron. I thought the Canon 50 1.8 was a touch sharper but not so much that you could tell by looking at the shots and certainly technique was an over riding determinate of image sharpness. Anyway the 50 1.8 AF has expired so I'm just using the Tamron now, Don't think I'll bother with getting another normal prime, Why muck around with all that lens changing for no real improvement in the image?<br>

Neill Farmer</p>