XTi. Next what?

sanjeet_vaishnav

<p>I have XTi with basic lenses 18-55 IS and 55-250 IS. Both are having excellent image quality for what you pay.</p>

<p>I am not sure whether I should think of upgrade from XTi. I am hearing lot of things about 7D.</p>

<p>Apart from features like live view, HD video shooting etc.. main reason for upgrade might be megapixels or better AF etc.</p>

<p>My question is: If I go from XTi (10 mp) to 7D (18 mp) and use same lenses that I use now, would I get better images w.r.t. sharpness (or any other improvement)?</p>

<p>The 7D is a major upgrade. The potential for sharper pictures, providing you use good technique. There are simply too many features of the 7D to mention here even though the XTi is a fine camera. For starters, the 7D is bigger and likely more comfortable in the hand in addition to a vastly superior viewfinder. Check the features of the 7D and then decide.</p>

<p>The VF and new AF made it worth the upgrade for me. IQ is better but not night and day better. Poor technique if will make the IQ worse.<br>

I now can see what the 24-105 can really produce in IQ. ISO performance is also a lot better. The choice to upgrade is a personal thing. I love my 7D... but is it worth the money is only a question that you can answer.. For me is was and still is..</p>

<p>Sanjeet, Coming from an XTi/550D it seems to me that it might be a natural for you to use the new T2i. Many of the controls are similar to the XTi, it has a sensor similar to the 7D and it has a very modern feature set that would be a major upgrade from the XTi. The price for the T2i is half the price of the 7D. http://www.dpreview.com/previews/CanonEOS550D/ Good luck!</p>

<p>I went from XTi to 50D.<br>

Either 50D or 7D will be a major upgrade, you can choose either, depending on your budget.<br>

If you pixel peep, then with the resolution of 50D or 7d, you might find your lenses limiting.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I'd personally suggest that you examine why you feel the need to upgrade. Is there something that your XTi is not doing for you? Then you can figure out what the best replacement/upgrade would be.</p>

<p>I'd suggest doing lots of photography with what you have until you find a <em>reason</em> to upgrade, other than general Canon Acquisition Syndrome (CAS). However, if money is burning a hole in your pocket, the 7D is by all accounts a swell camera. So is the T2i said to be. If you do go to the 7D you may wish to start getting new lenses too. Your kit lenses are excellent for the money, but even better lenses would be nice on the very much more capable and demanding 7D.</p>

<p>I have a pair of XTi and a 7D. The 7D will extend the low light capability of your lenses. The speed and auto-focus are worth the upgrade. But there is no real reason to upgrade. I still use an XTi for most of what I do. With the added battery grip, the smaller camera can flex up and down as needed. I find the 7D just a bit too professional looking to take along on family outings.<br>

I would pick up a fast prime, 50 1.4 or my next lens, the Sigma 30 1.4. Either will open up an entirely new world for you.</p>

<p>The XTi can produce very nice pictures. It's small and light.</p>

<p>What it doesn't have is a tough body, extra controlls, video and good ISO performance at 800+.</p>

<p>My vote would be glass before body unless you need one of the things it doesn't have. I upgraded to a 50D from using an XTi/400D only after I bought a few nice primes and a great zoom. Later I bought some cheap studio flashes (main powered = cheap) which would have helped the 400D too.</p>

<p>That said, the main issue is: in what way does the body not satisfy your needs? (And is that a fault of the body or of the rest of your system?)</p>