(UK) Best place to buy a 5DmkII body?

john clark

<p>Hi folks.<br>

Where would people recommend I purchase a 5D mkII body? I have no local stores so it will be mail order for me, which opens up the can-of-worms that is internet-purchasing.<br>

I've found one place, hdew cameras, which offers the 5D at what appears to be the lowest price, and they seem to have it in stock, but I don't know them at all and wouldn't mind hearing from anyone else who might know them and have some feedback on them. Warehouse express is another option, a hundred notes more expensive but they are reputable and well known, although it's out of stock there and I would really need to make the payment before the end of the tax year (April 4th) for various complicated reasons.<br>

Anywhere else I should consider? Not really interested in a grey-import or taking my chances with Ebay, given that I can reclaim the UK VAT, which evens things up quite a bit.<br>

Thanks,<br>

John</p>

<p>I just bought at BH Photo; no tax, searched through bing.com so getting additional 3% back. Canon is running rebates on lenses and speedlite, you can save additional $$$ (or £££) Mine is coming tomorrow, free shipment, can't wait. I should take a day off LOL.<br>

Good luck! It's my first full frame DSLR.</p>

<p>Yeah, I appreciate everyone recommending overseas options such as BH, but bear in mind that I am in the UK so I almost certainly WILL have to pay import duty and VAT. Which makes the import of a grey camera (such as one from the US would be from the perspective of an EU purchaser) far less attractive.<br>

So, to reiterate, I'm looking for a recommendation for a UK (or EU) supplier only, given that I can reclaim the UK VAT (which is 17.5%) as this camera will be used for professional purposes*.<br>

* note: I'm not a pro photographer but run a small web business, so I'm VAT registered and as I'm keeping my old 10D for personal use, the 5D mkII will be (cough) officially company-only. Plan is to develop a new sideline for the business which should give it something to fall back upon in tough times...</p>

<p>John<br>

Stick with UK or Europe dealers is my advice. Importing from the US means you get a US warranty. With three out of the five Canon digital SLR's that I have bought needing attention in year 1, I would not want the extra hassle or delay of having to send them back to the US</p>

<p>Jim Greenfield<br>

<a href="http://www.oceaneyephoto.com">www.oceaneyephoto.com</a></p>

<p>Although the UK is commendably free from Brooklyn-style scams, there are dealers whose keen prices are accompanied by very questionable service– although probably not to the point where you will not actually get the camera – so some care is needed. Look at</p>

<p><a href="http://www.camerapricebuster.com">www.camerapricebuster.com</a></p>

<p>in order to scan the horizon. I just did so, and recognised as solid all of the dealers in at least the top half-dozen. I have myself dealt a number of times with the second cheapest (by £10, but by only £2.49 after P&P), RGB Photo, which is a bricks-and-mortar setup in the north of England, has knowledgable people that you can talk to over the phone, and has always given me excellent service (I have no connection with them except as a customer). As a result of supply problems from Canon UK, they are now sourcing some of their kit from elsewhere in the EU, but that's not an issue from the warranty point of view, and of course there are no issues over VAT or duty.</p>

<p>When I bought my 20D 4 or 5 years ago I bought it from e-buyer and I never had a problem with it. I get most of my camera gear like Bowens lighting from Warehouse express and again, never had a problem. I just bought a 7D last week and I got it from Jessops. I was going to buy it from Warehouse Express but Jessops were just as cheap with a 8Mb UDMA card. There is also Harrisons Camera's who are a bit expensive on Cameras but OK on other gear.<br>

Regards<br>

Jim</p>

• 1 month later...
<p>I have always found Mifsuds to be helpful and professional and very good on prices. They also are usually well stocked of most things you need. The only bad thing I have to say is that in recent weeks I have been having trouble getting through on the phones (just rings and no one answers) and when I do finally get through they are either out of stock or the item has already sold as their website has not been updated. </p>