Florida/Southeast Free Workshop

matthew_runde

Other free workshops around the U.S. have attracted quite a few

people. Would anybody be interested in attending a free workshop in

Florida or somewhere else in the Southeast? If you would be

interested, please reply here and give your location. Thanks!<br>

<br>

(I'd be interested. I'm in the Tampa Bay area.)

I'm in central florida. Would be willing to travel a few hours to attend if it's at a time where I can make it. I have a "real" job and would need to work it out to where I could be off work.

I have never attended a workshop and have been looking at Per's offerings out West, but that's really too far for me to travel, so I'm pleasantly surprised to see this subject come up!

David

<a name="1">Wayne Crider</a> had a good idea ("What about a list from each other about places that we've been to that interest us. Maybe we can find a happy medium.").<br>

<br>

I've enjoyed <a

href="http://www.dep.state.fl.us/parks/district4/myakkariver/

index.asp">Mayakka River State Park</a> in Sarasota (although that's a bit of a hike for those near Miami).<br>

<br>

I found another park, <a href="http://www.dep.state.fl.us/parks/district3/kissimmeeprairie/

index.asp">Kissimmee Prairie Preserve State Park</a>, that looks relatively pristine (I haven't been there). I think that it's about 3-4 hours for most of us.<br>

<br>

Please share other suggestions and what you think about these two parks.<br>

<br>

If you want to search for other places, check out Florida's <a

href="http://www.dep.state.fl.us/parks/index.asp"> web site for state parks</a>. The site also has a <a

href="http://www.dep.state.fl.us/parks/stateparkmap.htm">map</a> that may help.

Ok Matt, you bought this up. Do you want to take the lead in getting a group together or do you want help from me. I haven't been everywhere but have traveled the state a good bit.

On a second note, I think we make some kind of arrangements for an overnighter for thoses that don't want to drive back the same day. It's almost too much for some of us to travel 4 or 5 hours and then to do so after the sun sets. Kind of makes for a long day. For thoses interested I suggest a camp ground with cabins somewhere or a local hotel staying over Saturday night and leaving when you want. Our Key West guy can offer suggestions for down there and anyone in the middle of the state can do the same.

On another note, we might want to pay attention to the vegetation since we get a die off in the winter. My local park looks like heck after the first cold spell. All the ferns die back and there's alot of brown.

Anyways, I'm going to post this over to Matt by email and get things going. Either he or I, or another for that matter will contact the list above.

Wayne,<br>

<br>

I'm happy to work on getting a group together, and I'd certainly appreciate help (I prefer to be called Matthew, by the way). I was hoping that a few more people would check the forum on Monday and reply, but this is a good number of people.<br>

<br>

Good points about the lodging and the seasonal change. It doesn't look like there's much in the way of lodging near Kissimmee Prairie Preserve State Park, although the park offers camping.<br>

<br>

Again, if anybody has ideas of other places to visit, please post them here or email them to Wayne or me. Meanwhile, we'll get things going.

There's another aspect to consider. Because of a family situation, I can't take off on overnight jaunts; I can get out to photograph about every other Sunday morning, and I have been going to various spots in the mostly Dade and Broward areas, with some excursions to Key Largo and to Palm Beach. I'd like company. I have friends in 35mm and MF, but the way we in LF work is too different for them to be very good company. Are there any LF photographers who would like to join with me? I photograph anything outdoors.

Mayakka might be a good choice since the coast is also close

by. I was over there on a video shoot and found it interesting but

really didn't have enough time to check it out. Let's see how this

place fairs and we'll go from there. Depending on your input, I

could trip over one weekend and check it out.

Beyond that we'll need some more input from others as to good

places. The Orlando area will be pretty good as well since

lodging is available and there's alot to shoot up there. It's also

pretty central.

• 4 weeks later...