best speedlight for d700

joseph_blum

<p>I bought an SB400 as I wanted something tiny, but it's a bit lame really, only just a bit better than a built in flash. On the D3 you can't even adjust the fill flash ratio.<br>

Then I got an SB900 and it's quite simply superb. It's one of those items which appears now and again which when you think to yourself "oh it would be nice if it could do ... such and such" and you read the manual and find out that it can, time and again. It even comes complete with colour filters for fill flash in tungsten or flourescent light. 10 out 10 at least.<br>

Steve</p>

The SB900 has a better user interface but besides zooming to 200mm and being able to set the lighting spread to 'even' it doesn't do anything the 800 doesn't and it is much larger and more expensive. It does have a nice gel holder though.

I have 2 SB800s because they are £100 cheaper and take up less space in my bag. Don't go for anything other than the 800 or 900 - with speedlights you need all the power you can squeeze out of them.

<p>I've got three SB-800s, and when the 900s came out, I planned on selling them to upgrade. However, I've heard enough horror stories (true or otherwise) about the lens overheating and refusing to work that I just decided to hang on to what I have. No complaints so far.</p>

<p>I've got three SB-800s, and when the 900s came out, I planned on selling them to upgrade. However, I've heard enough horror stories (true or otherwise) about the lens overheating and refusing to work that I just decided to hang on to what I have. No complaints so far.</p>

The power issue is noticable very quickly if you start using it for fill in bright daylight and especially for use off camera as a main light; try shooting full lengths shots with an umbrella in bright sun and you are very quickly wishing it had more to give. I've made a bracket so I can mount 2 SB800s side by side to get me an extra stop but this can only do so much. Large groups are also an issue. High iso is useless if the ambient light is horrible.