M8 vs. M8u vs. M82 (w/ 21mm lens)

erik_a

<p>I am looking for a M8 or some variation. What is the best value now. It seems the M8.2 is about $1000 more than the M8 currently. If I am using the camera for strictly B&W work, with the original M8 bee equal in image quality to the M8.2? Is the shutter upgrade (to eliminate the loudness) necessary? I am also looking for a 21mm lens, what is the best value currently<strong>?</strong></p>

<p>The CV 21/4s are great for the price, especially the ltm version that comes with a finder for ~$400 or so. You'd need an ltm to M adapter for that one. CV also makes a M mount version of the 21 for about the same price, but no included finder.<br>

You'll want a ~28 ish finder, so you'll need to sell or trade your 21 finder. I use the 21 on the M8 without a finder, but if I used the 21 a lot, I'd get a finder, you lose about 10% off the edges of the whole VF, maybe more for glasses users.<br>

No IQ differences between M8/M8u/M8.2.</p>

<p>Never heard of an M8u. The M8 and the M8.2 have the same image quality. The differences are a new shutter (with a slower maximum shutter speed), a sapphire crystal cover on the LCD display, and a difference in frame lines supposedly with more accuracy. I went with the M8 myself. Be sure to update to the latest firmware, but carefully - follow the directions to the letter.</p>

<p>And the IR contamination problem the M8's have is also a great advantage -- you can use your M8 as a great IR camera with the right filter -- much better than most DSLRs or the M9 because THEIR IR Cut filter cuts off more IR light.</p>