Arizona - around Heber-Overgaard

David_Cavan

<p>We are travelling to this area in April, for our first trip into that part of Arizona. We'll have 4 days there, and then 4 days in Sedona, where we've stayed a couple of times previously. We'll be carrying our usual stuff - Canon 50D, Canon Rebel XTI, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon EF 24-105 f/4, Canon EF 70-200 f/4; plus assorted filters, tripod and spare batteries, cards, etc. We like to spend these trips just absorbing the place we are - landscapes, wildlife, local color, and in that area expect to continue exploring southwest Indian ruins, which we've done over the past decade. <br>

My questions are - first, are there some "don't miss" day-trips, reasonable hikes, places that we should have on our itinerary (we are renting a SUV, so as long as roads are moderately OK we'll give it a try); and second, is there sufficient wildlife to make it worthwhile renting a longer lens - it only makes sense if there's a good chance of seeing some animals or birds, obviously. We've done this before, so have some idea of the patience and diligence required, and we know there's no guarantees. (sidebar - we did two weeks in the Canadian rockies last fall and did not see a SINGLE mammal larger than a squirrel - it became a running joke)<br>

Thoughts or ideas to add to the trip? We don't want to overdo it, so want to keep stay within a reasonable distance of our two destinations.</p>

If it's not too far off your route the road from Apache Junction up to Lake Roosevelt is very scenic. Ant to the north the Hopi villages are interesting and the Painted Desert is scenic. There are several trails from the South Rim down to the Colorado River and no one says you have to hike down (and back up) any further than you care to go.

<p>You can also go to ShowLow and the Salt River canyon (Apache Reservation) to the east side of Lake Roosevelt and then through Globe back to the highway to Payson. Lots of different desert zones and scenery. Youjust follow the Mogollon Rim highway. You can also go to Pinetop and on to the east side of the Apache Reservation to the USFS lands and forest to the New Mexico border and around to Springerville and back up on the Colorado River plateau. As for wildlife on the Reservation, it's there, especially if you count white face elk (cattle), horses, feral dogs (don't approach, in fact run away quickly) and a few cats.</p>

<p>Between Williams and the South Rim, I've seen pronghorn (and a few other places as well off I-40/Route 66) but not in a way that I was able to photograph them, either too far or no convenient legal stopping places so a longer lens than a 200 would still have been too short. However, in the the South Rim Village area, you might be able to catch condors close enough that a longer lens might be useful. Also the deer in that area and I'm sure others were out and about especially in late afternoon and often quite close. I've never seen the elk in the area but know they are there. I guess for me, if not too big a hassle and cost to deal with, a longer lens might be handy, but it's not the sure thing like it would be on a trip to Yellowstone.</p>

<p>Scott - thanks - I did not know about the Salt River Canyon, that looks like a great spot. On the other side, have you been along hwy 180/191? That looks to be pretty spectacular country along there.<br>

Craig - the good news is that I found I can rent a reasonably long lens in Phoenix for about $100 for the week, so it is probably worth a try. I do know what you mean about Yellowstone - you can almost close your eyes, press the shutter and get some wildlife in some of the areas there.<br>

Thanks - I am really starting to get excited about this.</p>

<p>I've been along highway 180/191 a few times in the 1980's, from about Alpine to St. Johns and west to Snowflake or ShowLow and on the NM side. It's a nice, scenic drive from the mountains onto the Colorado Plateau. A long way from Heber-Overgaard, but there a good places to stay in the small towns (spent almost two years servicing the river gages from Globe to the Plateau and to the NM border).</p>

<p>The Salt River Canyon is a minature Grand Canyon. It's just inside the Apache Reservation and there is a dirt road from the highway downstream along the river. You need a good 4WD vehicle and have to consider fording a few stream. The road is not maintained after the Cibecue Creek crossing (or wasn't then), but goes farther into some really scenic desert country. And don't be surprised if the Apache police stop and ask question. They're pretty easy going, and only want to know you have a permit for camping, fishing or whatever else is regulated (not required for just visiting). The only store between Globe and ShowLow is (or was) at the bottom of the Canyon, so fill up in either place first.</p>

<p>If you park at the bottom of the Salt River Canyon in the lot you can walk around quite a bit and get some good river and canyon shots. There are turnouts on the way up and down with some nice vantage points. It's fun to do the dirt roads down there if you can but you can see some great stuff without. You can cross the river here and there at the bottom and it's not that rough a road if you have the proper vehicle but I'd be wary of doing it in a rented SUV. Those rental contracts usually restrict your driving to pavement so even if you purchase the insurance or are covered on your own, you could get a heckuva bill if you run into problems down there. Hwy 191/180 would be a LONG day trip. It's a beautiful road but you'll be in the forest already. Consider checking out Chevelon Canyon and also consider going north a little into the Painted Desert area. You are very close. It's very different from Sedona area. There's a beautiful county park on 87 about 8 miles N of Winslow(not Homolovi) that has fantastic colors at sunset. You're also very close to Petrified Forest/Painted Desert National Park. You could easily spend a day there. You may see some pronghorn and ravens (sp. Ubiquitous parkinglottus) out there but not much else in terms of wildlife. In terms of colors and formations and desert vistas, it's tough to beat. <br>

As an aside, instead of buying more memory cards, you may want to just but a storage gizmo. I bought a Colorspace Hyperdrive from Sanho a few years ago and it's fantastic for trips like this. I think the prices have come down quite a bit for the smaller 80gb one I have.</p>

<p>Andrew is right. There are a few turnouts on the road through the canyon. On the south side at the end of the guardrail go into the canyon (or was then) is a two lane trail up the canyon for about a quarter mile. It's the road to the USGS gage (<a href="http://waterdata.usgs.gov/az/nwis/nwismap/?site_no=09497500&agency_cd=USGS">Salt River at Chrsotile</a>). It was the start of my monthly one-week field trip to the Apache Reservation. The trail is an immediate u-turn so you have to wait to let traffic by to make the wide turn onto the trail, but it's a good trail for most of the distance (easy for a SUV).</p>

<p>Also, the road at the bottom down the river has a parking lot and campground a short distance in, also easy (or was then) for SUV's. There is a road which goes back under the bridge upstream along the river. The downstream road goes on to <a href="http://waterdata.usgs.gov/az/nwis/nwismap/?site_no=09497800&agency_cd=USGS">Cibecue Creek</a> (and our gage about a mile upstream in the canyon). Did I mention watch for javelinas?</p>

<p>Thanks Andrew and Scott - it looks as if we'll make a point about going to Salt River Canyon, and play it by ear on how far we attempt to go up the road. And I would like to go to the petrified forest NP, so that may be another day trip. Your advice on Chevelon Canyon looks great as well, and I did some more reading on the Mongollon Rim which sounds like a very interesting physical structure.<br>

I plan to have my laptop, so will be able to download memory cards at night, and backup to dvd's. I still might grab a couple more cards for the day trips although I suspect that's unnecessary it is still the cheapest part of the kit. <br>

You are right that 180/191 looks like a long way, and probably that's another trip. We would like to get to Chaco sometime, and maybe an upcoming trip is in New Mexico and along that side of the Colorado plateau. Better to enjoy what we see than to rush around and spend too much time in the car.<br>

Thanks guys. Looking forward to it.</p>

<p>Good luck. Chaco Canyon NM is an amazing place considering what it was (an Anazazi seasonal celestrial ceremonial resort) and takes several days to explore. It's best in the early spring or late fall (the equinoxes brings the folks for the sun/moon alignments). We went in December when there were only a handful of people, but freezing weather and camping facilities closed. The conditions of the roads in depends on which direction you come from.</p>