Being Hired without meeting the Bride & Groom

chimera_h

<p>I've had a couple people hire me without meeting me in person. I'm thinking I need to not do this again, so I can make sure I want to work with them as well. Only one has hired me via email without even speaking on the phone (they happen to have a wedding site where I can see pics of them and learn all about them, the bridal party, etc), whereas a couple of others have hired me after speaking on the phone. I'm great at reading people and at detecting red flags...none of them seem to show warning signs of being difficult. Have any of you ever been hired in this way? They sound like great people, but I'm wondering if this could work against me.</p>

<p>Thanks for the help</p>

<p>It's not ideal, but I've had several, and they worked out as well as anything I've done ahead of time. It's more a matter of your understanding what they want/expect, having a shot list, and checking frequently with the in-charge person to make sure before you stop, that you are doing and have what they're after. Being ultra-professional helps, but I'm assuming you do that anyway. Mine have been among the best, actually.</p>

<p>My brother had someone hire him via email (he's a DJ) without talking to him and it got sketchy when they sent the deposit - it was a large check, and he was supposed to wire the rest to "the caterer" after he took out his deposit. Yep, that scam (he didn't fall for it). Probably not the situation here, but just something to be careful of.</p>

<p>A fair few of my wedding bookings have been confirmed via email/phone only - without me meeting the couple. This has so far worked out ok as I try to 'read' or get a feel for the person over the phone by the way they communicate, questions asked etc. I guess the best thing to go on in these types of situations is your instinct, if something doesnt feel/sound right from the onset then maybe you should insist on meeting the prospective clients before agreeing on taking the booking.</p>

<p>Batting .500 here - had one work out great - didn't meet them until the day of the wedding... Got the retainer fine and about a week before the wedding got a check for final payment plus tip in the mail. Great bride, great wedding and a good time.</p>

<p>The other one didn't work out so well... the mother of the bride contacted me and was going to send deposit - she didn't send - and then I called her a month before the wedding stating that I had another client for that date and if I didn't get the deposit with-in 2 days - the deal was off... long story short - I never got the check - I did the other wedding and never heard from her again.</p>

<p>As pointed out - beware of the scammers... watch out for a check that is significantly over the deposit or the total cost. Also be very wary when they want to send you more to cover the other vendors or to get cash back.</p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p><em>"I've had a couple people hire me without meeting me in person. I'm thinking <strong>I need to not do this again</strong>, so I can make sure <strong>I want to work with them as well."</strong></em></p>

<p>The situation is not new nor necessarily because of the internet, modern communications and advertizing media. I did nearly all of my first 50 Weddings, meeting the Bride and Her family an hour or so before the Ceremony and the Groom and his Family, at the Ceremony. I was employed by a Studio. When I formed my first business, I made meeting the Bride and Groom before the event as my protocol, and I kept that protocol, even in the last few years ‘til 2009, when again I was working as a contract Photographer for my old Studio, after we sold it. Of itself, that protocol is neither good nor bad nor right nor wrong. And IMO it is possible set a business this way, today.</p>

<p>I think if you decide to make it a point of meeting the Bride and Groom before the Event as a part of your protocol, then you should make that a unique selling point (USP) of your business and make the most of that point of differentiation. To do this successfully you need an existing marketplace receptive to the product/service you will offer, or you need to educate and corral a portion of the existing marketplace. In this regard, from a business perspective, it is not about what you want, it is about what will sell effectively – that means asking yourself what your customers want by firstly identifying clearly what your customer base is, which you are targeting.</p>

<p>I don't think it is so much about satisfying your "need" based on the quality of your working with the B&G - IMO a good professional should be able to hit the ground running and do the whole gig, site unseen and produce the goods to a professional level. I think it is more about you educating and thus selling your customer as to <strong><em>why there would be a difference to them</em></strong> - if you insist on meeting them, beforehand.</p>

<p>Could it work against you – yes it could. You need to be carful that your caring about a good fit is not interpreted as elitism, or if it is interpreted as elitism, then that is what the customer base wants to buy.</p>

<p>Also it is important to assess where your business actually fits in your own life – what I mean is - if yours is a part time gig for some additional income, then business decisions usually can be predicated more on personal wants rather than mortgage payment needs.</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I have been hired without meeting by 4 so far this year. All have been recommended to me by other brides/couples who were happy. As per my style of business, I have offered to refund their full retainer once I met them for their engagement session. No one has taken me up on my offer so far, and I have not wanted them to thankfully.</p>

<p>I would not worry too much, but keep your senses keen for those flags you mentioned.</p>

<p> </p>