Hand Straps

joshuamck

<p>A hand strap is something I've wanted for a while. I shoot with a D90, mostly at nightclubs and travel photography. I couldn't find many recent recommendations for hand straps in the search.<br>

I'm tossing up options between fleabay specials or ordering something brand name. Is there much difference in the $10 ebay option versus something from a reputable brand?<br>

I've just ordered a BlackRapid R-Strap. Is this likely to interfere with a hand strap's connection?<br>

Sometimes I use the MBD80 battery grip (I find the camera feels more stable with it on, and I don't like contorting for portrait shots). Is a hand grip likely to impact my use of the grip?</p>

I can't comment on the $10 straps, don't know anything about them. My camdapter strap I can comment on... the base plate is a machined piece that fits my Manfrotto quick release and is custom made for my camera (Nikon D80) and has a rib that fits the base plate so that the camera won't rotate when vertical on a tripod. It also has an extra slot for using a neck strap. The leather hand strap fit and finish are good quality. It will also fit with the battery grip on the camera. I use the premium prostrap (Arizona) and it was about $90 and IMHO worth every penny.

<p>Joshua, I have found the sturdy one made by Hakuba of plastic works decently enough and costs only twenty bucks, less even. The socket to the tripod screw has a metal bushing (important as I have seen some similar but crappier ones) and the nylon web adjusts well enough on the Hakuba. Worth a try anyway for the price,why mess with eBay when you got this one from B and H with good references from users in the feedback. The base may or may not match the camera base as far as non twist or twist action depending on your camera of course...especially if you wear an arca swiss plate on the base of camera with added hole.. I use it only rarely but it sometimes helps in the secure feeling factor with a heavy camera and lens. Worth a try at this price, right? I guess leather is sexier but who needs?<br>

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/194968-REG/Hakuba_KGP_02_Camera_Grip_LH.html</p>

<p>Thanks Gerry. Something I forgot to mention is that I'm in Australia. Shipping costs can make items from USA to be a bit prohibitive. The minimum shipping cost on that strap from B&H is $41 (more than twice the cost of the item).</p>