Epic stylus and 25 speed film

<p>Tom, I have the manual for the mju-II/Infinity Stylus Epic, the 35/2.8 version. I don't know if you have the identical model.</p>

<p>On page 112, in the specifications, it says the following: <em>Film speed range: Automatic setting with DX-coded film with ISO 50, 100, 200, 400, 800 1600, 3200. <strong>For non DX-coded film and film with less than ISO 50, film speed is set to ISO 100.</strong></em><br>

<strong><em></em></strong><br>

This means it is going to underexpose by two stops. John's idea is a good one, except I believe the camera doesn't have a backlight switch. But there's an easy solution, since the camera does have a narrow-angle metering function. (It doesn't say how narrow the angle is, but I'm sure it's not a true spot meter.)</p>

<p>What I suggest is meter on 'something dark', like Zone III if you're into that stuff, and let the camera base the exposure on that. Choose an important shadow zone and use the narrow-angle meter-- or you could even choose something outside the frame. Based on that reading, the camera will automatically dish out two stops extra exposure, and Bob's your uncle.</p>

<p>I'm no expert, but this turns out to be exactly what I do using my old Luna-Pro meter with medium format cameras-- I use the narrow-angle (7.5 degree) attachment, meter off my darkest large shadow region, and set that as two stops below middle grey. I almost never take an average reading. This method gives me decent exposure of the shadows, and it is usually nearly the same as an incident light reading.</p>

<p>Please follow up, and tell us how you get on with this. </p>