7D vs. 5D mark II - for a wide variety of compositions

ian_turek

<p>Seems that the subject will mot end but I was not able to find an answer to my question.<br>

I am stepping up from 10D with low IQ 28-135 lens.<br>

Primary photo subjects:</p>

<ul>

<li>landscapes (including climbing conditions/high altitude)</li>

<li>people (including not arranged portraits)</li>

<li>sports (primairly outdoor: horseback, motorcycles, water ski, ...)</li>

</ul>

<p>Existing lenses:</p>

<ul>

<li>24-105mm f/4L IS USM</li>

<li>70-200 f/4L IS USM</li>

</ul>

<p>Lens objectives:</p>

<ul>

<li>for my people phots I need ~ 300mm FF equivalent to shoot from the distance</li>

<li>for landscapes I need one ultra-wide (my concept is that for my summit days an L seried weather resistant lens would be of choice)</li>

</ul>

<p>body options:</p>

<ul>

<li>7D</li>

<li>5D mark II</li>

</ul>

<p>I do not produce for clients but will possibly/rarely print some larger formats for myself only (22" X 16"). My pixs are primairly shown to friends via web gallery and on larger projectors. I shoot in lower light conditions about 5% of the time and try to stay at or belkow 800 ISO.<br>

I am an average photograper in a state of improvement :-)<br>

I would think that a better AF and more metering zones of 7D are an advantage to me. Same for continuous shooting speed. If I went with 7D I am limited to 17-40mm X 1.6 in the ultra-wide (16-35mm is a bit too $ for me + it gives me only 1 mm extra). An optio would be to get a 10-22mm EF-S which is highly rated but not L weather sealed (would it survice the summit days? Not rally sure). 7D would give me my high focal range as neded. If 10-22mm EF-S would not be recommended for more sever conditions of summit days I would probably obtain both 10-22mm and 17-40mm f/4L<br>

If I went with 5D mark II I would be set nicely at the short focal length but would ned to get a X1.4 converter for the tele (and loose 1 f stop).<br>

I understand that the IQ of 5D mark II is better than of the 7D (perhaps only slightly with respct to my needs if any). Pricewise I am about the same with 5D mark II setup being slightly more $</p>

<ul>

<li>7D + 10-22mm + 17-40mm (if really needed for mountains)</li>

<li>5D mark II + 17-40mm + X1.4</li>

</ul>

<p>So I guess the question is which way to go. I definitely shoot more people pix in lowlands than wide summit landscapes.<br>

BTW: both cameras seem to be identically weather/dust resistant. approx same size and same weight (plays big role when every oz/" matters on the mountains)<br>

Opionions are appreciated.</p>

<p>Here's a thought: Get the 5D classic and the 40D or 50D. That way you have the best of both worlds - use the crop camera for sports and the 5Dc for everything else. There really is no clear cut answer for your question - you need to decide what is more important for you - there will always be a compromise.</p>

<p>The best thing you can do is to take both of them for a test drive. If you are able to try them side by each under the same conditions and at the same location then compare the results when you get home. You have a lot of 5D2 and 7D users here that swear by their camera and no other, so it becomes, pardon my English "a pissing contest of sorts." Only you can decide which one is for you. They are both great cameras and both will give the results you seek.</p>

<p>I have both and do a lot of climbing and skiing (I live in Banff AB) either mody will meet your needs as they are virtually physically identical (minor differences in on/off, live view and card door - plus the 7D flash) and appear to be equally sturdy and weatherproof.<br>

For portraits and landscapes the 5DII is the better body but both work well.<br>

For sports the 7D is clearly better - especially action sports. <br>

I would not worry about the metering differences - both work very well and I actually find the 5DII easier to use as the colour compensation capability of the 7D actually makes it perform differently to all of the Canon SLRs I have bough since the T90. This is only a limitation if you know what exposure compensations you need and in time I think I will adjust to the 7D metering.<br>

On lenses my preferred walk around lenses are the 16-35 II (you can substitute the 17-40) and the 70-200 F4 IS. With the 5DII I sometimes carry the 24 - 70 F2.8 but rarely take it with the 7D. For sports I use the 300 f4 IS and the 70-200 F2.8 (non IS).<br>

If you need sports and a 300mm equivalent lens get the 7D you will probably not miss the 5DII high ISo and quality but will need to think about a lens like the Tokina 11-16 F2.8 or 10-22 Canon. I know someone who gets good results and has taken the lens out quite a lot in the Rockies without incident. If you mainly shoot landscape and portrait (limited sports and occasional use for 300 mm) then the 5DII with 17-40 and 1.4x</p>

<p>The lenses you have are a perfect fit for full frame camera. Your 24-105 may be plenty wide on 5D. If I were you, I would buy the 5DII. I would also imagine that cropping shots with 70-200 of 5D II would still yield quality improvement over the crop factor of your 10D.</p>

<p>Many thanks everyone. Considering that my action/non-action slpit is about 5/95 all roads seem to lead me towards 5DII. Good point that 24mm on FF might be wide enough. Still, I'll grab both units and play with. Thx again.<br>

P.S. Yes, the summits are of a less technical snow and glacier type.</p>