Light Travel Tripod for Rollei TLR

sjauch

<p>I am flying out to CA this weekend, going to Yosemite. I want to bring my Rolleiflex T and a light tripod. I was considering the Tiltall Traveler, TE-245 from Adorama. <a href="http://www.adorama.com/TPTLG.html">http://www.adorama.com/TPTLG.html</a><br>

I was wondering if you folks here think this would be suitable or maybe could recommend something better but for about the same price.<br>

Thanks for your help.</p>

<p>I hope you have a Rolleifix, if the T accepts that ... Otherwise you will likely damage the film door ..</p>

<p>I also note that the Rollei waistlevel finder makes a short tripod work well (I have looked through the sportsfinder "air pyramid" maybe once on a tripod). Any Rollie is relatively heavy, but there is little need to flop it down or sideways, so a simple head will do for landscapes. Look downs are a different matter, though. Then you need a sturdy head and pod!</p>

<p>And, I generally loth 4 legged tripods: too much give at the 3 joints in general. Two fasteners are fine for me, not 3.</p>

<p>I cannot judge the tripod you envision. How flimsy will it be? I am afraid of that flims, flimser, flimsest 100 $ tripod ... Cheap tripods (bought in succession due to one's ill-advised "savings" frugality) are just a waste of money and always end up at the rummage sale after they have ruined many a picture ... Beware of so called "savings" here ... A light and sturdy tripod and head will have to set you back maybe 4-5 times your amount. But it will last forever and give you consistent camera support for decades.</p>

<p>Thanks, should have added my regular tripod is a carbon Gitzo with Arca Swiss head. I doubt I would be able to carry this on the plane and don't want to check it.<br>

Hence the cheap, compact option I'm looking at.<br>

Yes, I have a Rolleifix.</p>

<p>You guys will despise me for this, but I have been using a very light Slik tripod for backpacking for the last year or so. It's a Slik Sprint or Sprint Mini or something. I've used it to support a Cord Vb and Flex E, and a Century Graphic with lenses up to 180mm. No, I'm not joking-- these cameras are lightweights, and if you've ever used a Mamiya, you won't think your Rolleiflex is heavy. </p>

<p>The tripod has a tiny ball head with a 1/4-20 screw, and I put a Rolleifix on it when I'm using Rollei. It's Slik, so it's better than a supermarket toy tripod, but I regard it as a consumable and it probably will only last a couple of years. (The head will probably be what fails.) It was only about $50. </p>

<p>Even though my cameras are lightweights, the tripod legs bow if I have it extended, but with a waist-level finder, you don't need much extension. It's nowhere near rock solid, and it's a camera support but not really a stabilizer. Provided I let any vibrations die down and I'm out of the wind, it works fine, although I should add that most of my exposures are 1/15 or faster. </p>

<p>General question: why the fear of putting tripods into checked baggage among posters around here?</p>

<p>I could understand that if flying to/from South Africa which is notorious of separating stuff of value in your checked cases from you ... </p>

<p>But to CA? And taking out the post will make any tripod fit even into a small carry-on size checked bag if put in diagonally.</p>

<p>So: why our attachment of "fear of flying" for tripods in checked bags? They fit easily, there is no use of them on-board, ... what is it ??</p>

<p>Lenses, cameras, flash are quite another thing: bumps and handling may damage them, but not tripods, worth their name and purpose.</p>

<p> Any answers? Thanks! I am curious.</p>

<p>I hand carried a Gitzo 3541L on board flights from Washington to New York, and then on to Israel. Packed my RRS head in my carryon camera bag. No one gave me any problems, either flying domestically or internationally. I did finally get a Gitzo traveler which fits easily in my bag, and should be strong enough to hold the Rolleiflex. I'm using a Markins Q3 head with it. Perfect for travel, and robust enough to hold anything I put on it.</p>