Perfect an image for viewing on the web

<p>Hi there,<br>

I am looking for some help. I took a shot last night and noticed that it looks great on my mac but dark and murky on my girlfriends PC. I am well aware of the difference in colour space between mac and PC, and different Gammas. However, I would like some advice on how to adjust the image so its pleasing on both mac and PC monitors.<br>

Does anyone have specific settings they use in Lightroom and Photoshop to overcome this?</p>

<p>Euan</p>

<p>theres no magic recipe... if you want to see your image as good as possible on any computer you need this;</p>

<p>1_a jpeg image save as sRGB</p>

<p>2_a color managed computer with a calibrated screen with a device.</p>

<p>#2 seem like non sense since you cant make sure that everybody on the planet would have such a thing.. this is where you learn to let it go ; )</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The difference between sRGB and Abobe 1998 RGB is the depth and breadth of the color space. The Adobe space is larger - much larger than any web browser can support, and larger than most consumer grade printers can support. If you want an image to look consistent between different browsers when viewed on the web you have to target if for the smallest colour space, not the largest.</p>

<p>sRGB is supported by most major browsers. Adobe RGB is not.</p>

<p>thanks for all the responses...i have uploaded the photo to my portfolio here: http://www.photo.net/photo/10809213 this is considerably desaturated compared to what i see in lightroom at present. <br>

Is there any basic settings i can change my monitor to, or change in lightroom, so what i am working with whithin lightroom will look exactly as the exported image...i am disspointed with the exported result!<br>

Euan</p>

<p>when you work in Lightroom you are technicaly in Melissa RGB (or Pro Photo RGB) a color gammut widder than sRGB. The problem is that many people like there image oversaturated and didtn understand that a printer or the web cant to a certain extend produce those color.</p>

<p>That said, youre image could be more saturated then what i see now for sure, just have to find how come it look not right now. When i export my image they look as is or really close to my original, so something must be wrong somewhere in your process or during export... will try to find it.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"sRGB...so the image in lightroom has the right amount of saturation etc, but the exported doesnt!"</p>

</blockquote>

<p>They should be indistinguishable.<br>

Are the exported images tagged with the sRGB profile and are you viewing them in a colour-managed application/browser?</p>

<p>What Gamma setting do you use for your monitor?<br>

Traditionally Macs used G 1.8 as the monitor default. This has only changed in very recent versions of the OS, 10.6, I think. If your's is set to 1.8, try switching to G 2.2 instead. That will even out platform differences further.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"it would be helpfuul if you could view in sRGB within lightroom so your web based exports looked as intended!"</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Your monitor's colour gamut might actually be fairly close to sRGB unless you use an expensive, and therefore less-common, wide-gamut display.</p>