Photo Vests

bobatkins

It would be interesting to hear of field based opinions on photo vests.

<p>

Personally I have a couple of "K-mart" fisherman's vests, each of

which cost under $20. Much cheaper than a photo vest, and much

cooler to wear than the "fully padded" photo vests I've seen.

They don't scream "PHOTOGRAPHER" either! The pockets are large

enough for an 80-200/2.8 zoom in a lens pouch (since the vest

isn't padded I like to carry lenses in padded pouches), and by

using the back pocket too I can carry rain gear, snacks etc with no problem.

<p>

Actually my main use for the vest is so I have somewhere to put

filters, film and lens caps while I'm working in the field, rather

than to carry lots of equipment around.

Bob, I would say your vest arrangement is similar to mine. I prefer to transport my photo equipment in camera bags or packs but when I start shooting I use the vest to hold caps, filters, tape recorder, pen and pad, film, flash, lenses, etc. I use it most of the time in the warmer months due to lack of suitable pockets on most shirts. In colder weather I often just use my jacket if it has large pockets. I bought a plain all-purpose vest on-sale from Cabelas for about $35. It has mesh panels in part of the front and back so it is very lightweight and cool in the summer. It has been a very useful accessory.

Vests�I currently have three. All are photographer vests, a Kodak, a Domke and a Rue. I do not wear the Domke. The pockets hang too low and if there is anything in them it bangs my thighs. The Kodak is nice when I am working close to the truck and don�t need to carry a lot of gear with me. I would wear the Rue all the time but it is the warmest of the three. When I work Yellowstone in the fall it is fine, the additional padding/warmth is no problem. Working South Carolina during the summer it is tooooo warm. Why is it the best? Lots of pockets big and small. The pockets are set high, nothing hangs very far below the waist, consequently there is no banging of gear against my legs. The design of the vest is such that the weight hangs very comfortably on the shoulders. I can�t say this of the other two. If I am going to carry a lot of gear and don�t want to put it in one of my camera back-packs it goes in the Rue. I was considering buying Lenny�s light weight vest but it is not in this years catalog. For my type of shooting (primarily wildlife), if I had to go with a single vest the Rue would be it. Climbing the McMinn bench to shoot Bighorns, the vest carries a 80-200/f2.8, a 24-50/f4, a light lunch, filters, 30 rolls of film, extension tubes, 1.4& 2x TCs. extra body, batteries, rain gear, binoculars and water. I also have my 300/f2.8 with body mounted on a tripod and up the hill(?) I go. Very slowly I might add. This is one shoot where the 600/f4 stays in the truck.If there were not times when this much equipment is almost a requirement a fishing vest would be a good answer. As with a lot of our photography the answer is "it all depends". Could I do this with a back-pack, probably. Why don�t I ? Good question, it�s just the way I have done things, maybe this fall I will try it with one of my packs.

Bob, you are right in that the main use of the vest when I am reasonably close to the vehicle is to carry the various and assorted sundry items we all feel a need to carry.

Frank points out another useful characteristic of fisherman's

vests - typically they are short (at least mine are), since I

guess you wouldn't want it hanging in the water if you were

fishing and wearing deep waders. This helps because I tend to

carry gear in a waist (fanny) or holster type pack, both of

which have waist belts. The short vest doesn't get in the way.

<p>

I buy the "X-large" size, so if it's cold I can wear it over

a coat - that way it's fine for both summer <em>and</em> winter use.

I have an old (10 years?) LL Bean vest that I always use with or

without the heavy gear in a backpack. It has a lot of pockets of

various sizes for 20 rolls of 35mm and 12 rolls of 120, two large

lens pockets, and a bunch for cleaning stuff and all the rest. A

large back pocket holds reflectors and there is a tubular pocket

on the rear for a small tripod or an umbrella. It holds more stuff

than I really want to carry. Oh, it also has two small lens pockets

that I use for other stuff. It has been great and someday I'll get it cleaned.

I use a game bird hunting jacket that I've had for twenty years. It's the weight of a heavy long sleeve shirt with two large side pockets. The large pouch in the back that used to hold some unlucky birds..... now carries rain poncho, rain cover for the camera, Tote umbrella, and snacks. I don't recall the cost of it, but I'm sure it wasn't as much as a photographers vest that I've seen, and is light weight enough to wear all year.

• 4 weeks later...

Check out http://www.campmor.com/closeouts/trail.designs/trail.designs.html

for a very good sale on a Trail Designs "Traveler's Vest II." I bought one via mail order from CampMor two weeks ago for $19.95. This past weekend, I was at a festival in Maryland where these were being sold for $79.50! Weight-wise, this one is about mid-way between the

K-Mart and Domke vests, but equal to the Domke in quality. I'm looking forward to it being an excellent Spring/Fall solution.

• 2 weeks later...

I received a Khumbu vest from Vested Interest for my double quad birthday in July. I have used it several times on long day hikes and I really enjoy the product. I had been using a Sun Dog, "Art Wolfe" photo pack. While I will not get rid of the pack, I think the vest will receive greater use. I found it cumbersome to lay the pack down and unzip the entire back just to get a single item.

<p>

The quality of the workmanship in the Khumbu is astounding. If I were to fall off a cliff and have my vest hang on a root, then this is the vest to be wearing. The Vested Interest folks make parachute related gear, and it is well constructed. Also, the vest has several optional accessories which can be added for a relatively small charge.

• 3 weeks later...
For carrying some accessories and/or lightweight lenses or bodies, the Domke/Banana Republic/Orvis-type vests are great, but they won't really substitute a camera bag or pack. The Vested Interest vests, in particular the Magnum and Khumbu models, will hold an astounding amount of gear, and let you carry it comfortably and have easy access to it. The Khumbu model even has a huge tube-shaped pouch on the back which will hold either a substantial tripod like a Gitzo 300-series, or a 300 f2.8 or 400 f3.5 lens. I have carried 2 pro AF Nikons, 20-35, 37-70 and 80-200 f2.8's and a 300 f/4 plus SB26, an FM2n body, Gitzo 320 and plenty of film and small gadgets and it was much more comfortable than the same gear in even a great backpack like the Lowe Trekker. The shoulder padding system seems to distribute the weight so that it seems about 50% lighter.

• 1 month later...
I just got the Vested Interest Still Model vest, and I am in love with it. As a short (5'1") woman, I find that most photo vests(I have the Domke, which is a pretty nice vest) come down almost to my knees, and if I plan to carry anything other than accessories in it, it's just too uncomfortable. I also don't like the idea of having my lenses in unpadded pockets, slamming aginst my legs. The back of the neck in the vested interest vest is engineered in such a way that it reduces much of the strain on it, and the pockets are nicely designed and padded, and the vest is fairly short. The vest is not cheap - the still model is $170, but the quality is astounding, and they will customize for you - for instance, I did not want the fabric tube or lashing straps on the back, so I could also carry a pack if need be, so they made it without them. The "monster pocket" on the back of the vest will hold as much as a decent sized fanny pack. I got the pack in the olive drab green, but they are available in many colors - you can ask them for fabric swatches. I obsessed over this vest for four years, and finally decided to go for it this year - I'm glad I did.

• 1 month later...
I have a Vested Interested vest that I designed for my needs and size (I am 6'7") and have used it regularly for over a year. While expensive (it cost as much as my Sundog bag) I would do it all over if need be. I had it made with all mesh in back and a large mesh zippered pocket on the back to hold my reflectors and diffusers. I also had special pockets made for certain lenses I carry. I would probably not do that next time as it limits their use when not using those lenses. I still use (and often carry) the Sundog bag, especially when hiking in the woods. But when working from a vehicle, I use only the vest. By the way, I had all the pockets made from waterproof material and the rest of the vest is open mesh. It's very cool.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

OK. I found Vested Interest

<p>

(make a note; if you are naming a company and hope for anyone to find it on the web, don't give it a common phrase for a name. Yahoo returns over 300 hits for Vested Interest, and the company doesn't show up in the first 160...)

<p>

The Vested Interest www.vestedinterest.com (972) 245-4256

1425 Century #100

Carrollton, TX 75006 FAX (972) 245-0598

• 4 years later...

> if you are naming a company and hope for anyone to find it on the web

I might make one suggestion. When searching, you can't really complain about [ vested interest ] returning zillions of matches, and not including the company you look for anywhere near the top.

Try searching for [ vested interest vest ] or [ vested interest camera ] or [ vested interest photo ] or [ vested interest gear ] or [ vested interest lens ] or [vested interest photography ] or [ vested pocket ] et cetera.

The company you are looking for (www.vestedinterest.com) shows up in the Top 10 results for every one of those search queries. If you just search for [ vested interest ] you should expect to get zillions of non-relevant results (at least non-relevant to the photo gear company you happen to be looking for).

Just my $0.02. I like to counsel people about trying a little harder when they are searching for things. Just an extra word or two will often get you exactly what you were looking for.

• 5 years later...
Greetings all. Newbie here. I am glad I found this now I how it could make my day. I have a "Trail Designs" vest that has aged 10+ yrs now. Showing the definite wear and deterioration of such has led me 2 an extensive search 4 a replacement. Originally a drab/grey I dyed it a Purple. Having been a driver on the road of 20+ yrs it has been my riding partner of more than 10. Still wearing...as I type.. I canot bear 2 retire it w/out a replacement. I got lucky in finding it in a thrift store. I figure it was a once in a lifetime deal finding my good friend. If some1 can Pls help me w/ a source of Trail Designs and perhaps other sources I would B very grateful. Thx in advance...Bat