Fujifilm 6x9 RF - Which Lens 65mm or 90mm??

david_jenkins

Hi All,

I am interested in the using a Fujifilm 6x9 Rangefinder (Fujifilm

GW690 III Pro or GSW690 III) for doco and street portrait work, but

have no experience with these particular cameras. I am interested in

travelling light and simplifying what I have to carry, but still want

MF quality. The one camera, one lens is somewhat appealing when

compared to all the usual palaver of medium format equipment.

I am assuming that these two cameras are basically the same apart

from the lens fitted - so how do they (90mm f/3.5 lens / 65mm f/5.6)

compare? I have heard that the 65mm is very good.

Thanks for your help and guidance!

Cheers David Jenkins

In my experience, all the Fujis have excellent lenses with little to choose

between them on the basis of performance and quality. 65mm on 6x9 format

is quite a lot of coverage, so pick that if you want a wide angle vs a more

"normal" field of view, that's all.

Godfrey

From all I've heard lens quality is similar and both awesome. The 65mm is a little slow at f/5,6 so keep that in mind. It really comes down to your style. The 65mm is about like a 28mm in 35mm format terms and the 90mm like a 40mm. I prefer the 90mm myself for environmental portraiture. Many prefer the 65mm for wide angle scenics. If I was rich I'd have both. But alas! I am only in name.<p>

Richard Sintchak<br>

The Fuji Rangefinder Pages<br>

<a href="http://www.fujirangefinder.com">www.fujirangefinder.com</a>

David,

I've been using the GW670 111(90mm f3.5 lens) for about a year now and can't think of much bad to say about it. As mentioned above, the lenses are just something else. I chose the 670 because I use mainly negative film and print most of my work and this format fits most paper sizes perfectly. Plus you get ten shots to the roll.

I've got the GSW690 with the fixed 65mm lens and it is a wonderful camera for

scenic photography, the images are of excellent quality and are more than big

enough to crop into heavily as and when required.

I've never used the GW690, but have heard only good things about its 90mm

lens. Only you can decide which model would best suit you, why not spend a

day out with a 35mm camera with a 28 to 70mm ( or similar focal length )

zoom lens. Try using it for part of the day at 28mm and for the remainder at

around the 40mm setting; then decide which focal length is most useful for

your style of photography.

I have the GSW690 III only - a recent acquisition at that - but am finding it great to use. Wonderful lens quality and truly epic negative size.

Handholding it appears to be no problem with 400 ASA film on board - in fact I think it´s probably easier to hold steady than a 35mm SLR. I´ve had some good results hand-holding with slower film, but the shutter release is relatively stiff (on my machine at least). I guess that 90mm would suit you best as the 65mm probably gives you more coverage than you´re after.

My Contax G2 feels like a fiddly, funny little toy after using the Fuji RF for a while!

The 65 is very good. I bought mine because it was the cheapest medium format solution for shooting architecture and interiors. It would probably be pretty good for group shots at weddings etc.

There is an oddity with the shutter on "T" where pressing the cable release does not close the shutter- you have to put on the lens cap and wind the film. Not a problem if you don't use "T."

Also the lens blocks part of the viewfinder, but you can learn to compensate for that.

Hi, David,

I'm a GW680III (6x8 format only available in Japan) user and that's really an all-rounder for me. Even though many people say that the 65mm lens of GSW model is great, a "GW" seems to be better for your purpose because the lens is faster (f3.5) and can provide shallower DOP. Plus I would think the 90mm (in 6x9 format, it is equivalent of a 39mm in 35mm format, to be picky) could cover enough area outside on the street even for environmental portraiture. Also, you can go closer with a 90mm.

Either one is just great anyway and I hope you would be happy with your dicision.

<i>It's the best investment I've ever made.</i><p>Tom's got a good point. Since I bought mine the price for a new GW690III has gone up over 15%. Used prices seem to have increased as well. Now what camera system that is STILL on the market has done that any time lately?