Problem with 500D, thinking maybe heat/sun damage? Please help!

nalen_gomizelj

Hey tried using my 500D tonight outside in the dark with a 3-sec shutter, and the picture came out really dark..?<br />Ive done the same thing with the same shutter speed and the sky comes out bright as day, but I dont understand why its not working now.. even tried 6" but no go!<br />Also, not sure if its a setting I may have changed, but my screen wasnt turning off when I put my eye over the view finder..? The only way I could get it to turn off was pressing the 'display' button.. so could there be a problem with my viewfinder sensor..?<br /><br />The only thing I can think of is, I left the camera in its case with a towel over the top of it today just in case the sun came through my windows, maybe the sunlight heat did something to it?<br /><br />Im just totally gobsmacked at the moment and I have no idea what could be wrong or what Ive changed..<br />Picture comes out no worrries with correct lighting tho..<br /><br />Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!<br /><br />Thankyou<br />Kind Regards,<br />Nalen

<p>What did the exposure meter or histogram indicate? If they indicate underexposure you would either need a longer exposure and or a larger aperture or higher iso setting. I also agree with Brett that it is unlikely damage damage due to the sun or heat. Especially when normal lighting creats correctly exposed prints. Posting the EXIF data for a long exposure picture that came ojut with plus the data from th one that didn't could tell use what the difference is. The EXIF data as well as the is saved in the JPEG or raw ffile. You can view the EXIF data and histogram with Canon's DPP software.</p>

<p>You are right, Mike. I will suggest that the original poster consult his user's manual and see what mode he was shooting in, as well as photograph a normal scene. Sometimes the obvious answer is that the camera was in manual mode, when it probably would have been fine in Av or Tv, or the green box. </p>