D3 continuous mode only 15 photos?

kevin_penczak

<p>I was shooting with a D3 today and i was in high continuous mode (9 fps) and the camera was only letting me shoot 15 images in a row before it was stops/slows down. I checked a number of setting and couldnt find out why it was stopping me. I was shooting somewhere about 1/500th of a second, and using a SanDisk Extreme III card (30 MB/s). I tried shooting in raw, jpegs small and large and still no difference. Thank you for your help!</p>

<p>Hi, 15 is about the buffer on the D3 without an upgrade, I think technically it is 17 but you are running into the buffer limit and the unit cant write to the card fast enough to give you more clearance. At that point you can rip off about 3 fps until the buffer clears. Hope that helps, and for $500 Nikon will double your buffer if that is any help. Thanks Brian</p>

<p>The D3 has enough memory buffer for about 15 or so RAW files. It varies a bit depending on whether you are using a high ISO, Active D Lighting, noise reduction, etc.</p>

<p>If you use a SanDisk Extreme IV, it'll be table to empty its buffer a bit faster.</p>

<p>Kevin, in your original post, you mention your camera "stops/slows down". If it stops completely, the setting for menu item d3 is likely set at 15. If it is set higher and/or this does not resolve your issue, also check to be sure you are not shooting RAW/JPG by mistake.</p>