Usuing a reflector for outdoor portraits?

cassandra_eye

<p>I have a problem with harsh lighting from the sun in outdoor portraits. I want to use available light and not flashes.<br>

I have a question though...</p>

<p>If I use a reflector such as <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/60-Arm-Grip-Holder-Reflector-Panel-Light-Stand-Combo_W0QQitemZ360241272421QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item53e00d9665">http://cgi.ebay.com/60-Arm-Grip-Holder-Reflector-Panel-Light-Stand-Combo_W0QQitemZ360241272421QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item53e00d9665</a> and use the transparent light diffuser to diffuse the harsh sun, will it cause a shadow on the ground near my subject?</p>

<p>Would I angle it up to keep the sun out of my subjects eyes and diffuse the light? Would this be better to use for close-up potraits where it won't leave a shadow? What if it is noon and very sunny and I use it...shadow or no?How can I avoid this?</p>

<p>Thanks guys...you are the best!</p>

<p>Reflectors give you infinite possibilities...you position them to accomplish what you want to accomplish. If they are giving you a shadow somewhere you don't want a shadow, you move it. If the light is too harsh, you change the reflector's angle' In short, you look at the results you're getting and adjust for what you want. I've personally found little use for sunlight diffusers thru the years, but alot of use for reflectors, but even when using diffusers, you can usually put the shadows where you want by moving the diffuser closer or further away and looking at the results.</p>

<p>That's a 24-inch reflector, which is quite small to be used as a diffuser. It is, though, possibly big enough to bounce some light into the shadows on your subject's faces. You might use it by putting the sun <em>behind</em> your subjects, and then bouncing some light back to their faces for a bit of a glow. <br /><br />Photoflex is a maker of (among other things) reflectors and diffusing panels and related hardware. To help pitch their hardware, they have a web site with a lot of free tutorials, including outdoor portraiture. Whether or not you go with the sorts of rigs they're proposing, you can learn a lot by looking at <strong><a href="http://www.photoflexlightingschool.com/Lighting_Lessons/Advanced_Lighting/Portrait_Outdoor/index.html">what they're showing</a></strong>.<br /><br />Oh, and if you do go with a stand-mounted reflector, be sure to also get or make some sandbags if you don't have an assistant to hold things for you. Light modifiers outside are serious wind catchers, and you don't want a stand falling over on somebody - especially a kid.</p>

<p>Small diffusers and reflectors are designed to be used close up to the subject. You won't see shadows on the ground since they will fall outside the image area. A 24" reflector is very small - good for head shots only. If you want to do full body or group shots you'll need a much larger one - several feet across. Something like a California Sunbounce is 6 feet wide. This is why people prefer to use flash in many cases. It's a more powerful light source with better control of spread.</p>

<p>I'm new to reflectors, too, but here goes. You can use it as a diffuser, in full sun, but there are some buts. The light will probably be much better than without it, because the light source is now larger, and your subject(s) won't be squinting, but if the background is exposed with full sun your subject will now be relatively underexposed. I've seen people post examples of this and they were happy with them, but I don't care for the look. So, you probably need a background that is in the shade. Or you need another large reflector or flash to act as the main light, so you can balance the exposure.</p>

<p>One thing I have tried lately is, when it is sunny, look for white buildings and large vans or trucks and use these as reflectors. Windows actually work as well. It would be hilarious but it occurred to be it would be great to shoot with an assistant driving around a big white van! No risk of it blowing away, and it's a big light source! I found a window reflector by accident, just noticed the light on the subjects face as she walked through it, and then we figured out that it was a window of a house and we took the shot. You have to position the subject correctly, as that's how you can control the intensity of the main light, and be considerate of the background and it's exposure relative to the subject.</p>

<p>Check out the book "Available Light:..." by Don Marr.</p>

<p>In any case, even though I still have plenty to learn, it feels somewhat liberating for me to be able to know where I can find good light in full sun (as long as there are buildings around!) and not need anything but my camera.</p>