Trying to decide on new camera

donna_doherty

<p>I have a Nikon D50 that I've had for almost 4 years and the shutter is going so I'm in the market for a new camera. I have narrowed it down to a D90 or a D300. The D300 caught my eye because I like to take sports photos such as basketball. I'm afraid it might be too much camera for me though. I don't know a lot about photography. I am just taking a class now and learning about apertures and light stops and shutter speeds etc. It is still all pretty confusing to me at this point but I hope will become clearer by the end of the classes. I've been reading the reviews and a lot of what they talk about for the D300 goes right over my head. One review even came out and said that it was a serious camera and not for people dabbling in photography. I'm a new empty nest mom and I'm hoping to get more involved in photography. I took my own kids' senior portraits and I'm now having family and friends ask me to take their child's photos so that is another thing I will be using this camera for. I have a pet sitting business and also take a lot of pictures of the pets I watch. The cats are usually still but I like to take action dog photos. I enjoy shooting nature and birds etc. I'm kind of the family photographer at family get togethers and then of course the sports photos. I've been shooting lots of basketball games at the local high school and making slide show videos for their end of the season banquets. So far I have just done these things for fun but I have been toying with the idea of doing it for money some day, especially the senior photos but possibly the sports ones if I feel I'm getting good enough.<br>

With 3 kids in college money is a factor but if I really thought the D300 would be worth the extra money and that I'd notice enough difference, mostly for the sports shots, I'd be willing to invest in it. I have an 85mm 1:1.8 lens that I use for it. Other than that I just have the lens that came with my D50 (18-55mm 3.5-5.6) and a very old zoom lens that I had with my old Nikon film camera, a Quantaray tech-1- 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 lens. I don't have a flash yet and need to get one. Any thoughts on which I should go with D90 or D300 and why would be greatly appreciated!</p>

<p>Thank you!</p>

<p>the d300 has no significant IQ advantage over the d90. where it excels is in its AF module. its also a bit faster. but your money would be better spent on a d90 with some wide/fast lenses better suited for indoor sports. forget the 18-55 and 70-300. to shoot indoor sports, along with your 85, you need some faster lenses, maybe a tamron 28-75/2.8 or 17-50/2.8 zoom and/or the 35/1.8 and 50/1.8.</p>

<p>You will get the hang of the tech stuff soon so either camera will do. The 90 does everything that the 300 does. The 300 is sturdier and probably will last longer. <br>

If you are shooting less than 10,000 shots a year then the 90 is the way to go. It is a great camera. <br>

Get good glass.</p>

<p>Thanks. I don't use the slower lenses for basketball, only the 85mm one. I have no idea how many shots I take a year but I would guess it is around 10,000 or a little more because of the basketball. Is there a difference in how long the shutter will last in those cameras. I was quite disappointed to find my D50 having problems already. </p>

<p>the money you will save in getting the D90 can go to the purchase of two fast lenses that will cover all your needs -------- the tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 (or the sigma 18-50mm f/2.8, a few ounces heavier than the tamron and takes 72mm filter) and the sigma 50-150mm for the reach. they will complement well your 85mm prime. the D90 has plenty of leeway for the crop factor so the 150mm should be enough. or you can look at the old and heavier nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8 </p>

<p>the bottom line is you need fast lenses to shoot sports. at least get the SB-600 for indoor bounced lighting.</p>

<p>Hi Donna. Sigma has just announced a 70-200 f2.8 with optical stabiliser that would be great for sport. I agree with Eric's choice of the two Tamrons...I've used both...they're sharp and LIGHT. You may want to get a technician to look at the D50, maybe, just maybe it could be a quick and inexpensive fix. Good luck</p>

<p>Hi Donna,</p>

<p>If you are going to be more serious in photography I would advice to look for a used D300 because this camera is superior from almost any point of view, the AF module is more appropriate for sport, the build quality is from the pro grade and also D300 balances much better with tele zooms like 80-200, 70-200, etc.</p>

<p>In terms of glass I will also advice for Tamron 17-50mm/f2.8 VC and for Sigma 50-150mm/f2.8 but the advice from Mark about the announced Sigma 70-200 with stabilization deserves full consideration too.</p>

<p>I also advice you to start ASAP to get paid for your work, even you will charge a very decent price for your pictures. I know that sometime is difficult to promote paid services to people that are already accustomised to receive for free, but you can start by writting a letter to your neighbors and to people from your circle of relationship, just telling them that you are going to invest more money in good quality gear and you look forward to start offer paid services for a decent and negotiable price. This will make aware people around you that the grace period comes to end and for sure some of them will offer you jobs when special situations occurs.</p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>Hi Donna,<br>

Unless you are absolutely sure, I would suggest that you get the D90. Use the spare cash to get good lenses. D300 is over 200g heavier at almost a Kg and I sometimes wish I have the lighter D90 to bring with me on my travels. Though it has the 51 focus points, you can still manage very nicely with the D90's 11 point.<br>

Here's a side by side comparison for you..http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=nikon_d90%2Cnikon_d300&show=all<br>

Rgds.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Hi Donna,<br>

Unless you are absolutely sure, I would suggest that you get the D90. Use the spare cash to get good lenses. D300 is over 200g heavier at almost a Kg and I sometimes wish I have the lighter D90 to bring with me on my travels. Though it has the 51 focus points, you can still manage very nicely with the D90's 11 point.<br>

Here's a side by side comparison for you..http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=nikon_d90%2Cnikon_d300&show=all<br>

Rgds.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Hi Donna,</p>

<p>I currently shoot a D90 and it works well for just about everything. The money saved should be put towards fast glass...all of the above suggestions are great. I shoot primarily with 2 lenses 99% of the time... my 35mm f/1.8 DX and my 70-200mm f/2.8 VR (both Nikon). The 35mm replaced my 50mm f/1.8 (approx $120, and well worth it as I still shoot portraits with it).</p>

<p>SO, my suggestion is this:</p>

<p>Buy the D90. Work with it until you find that the camera is slowing you down. By that time, you will hopefully be technically savvy, have a few more lenses that you enjoy using, (and which will carry over to your next camera body), and you will have the option of purchasing the "next big thing" camera, (which will be 'better' and hopefully 'less expensive'). </p>

<p>I want to thank everyone for all the advice so far. It's giving me a lot to think about. I have written down the suggested lenses and I will work on getting some after I get my camera. As to which camera I'm going with I think I'm more confused than ever. lol </p>