Wierd "CLICKING" on 70-300mm VR

enrique_r.

<p>I was out shooting & my 70-300mm is "Clicking" at 300mm when it's set on AFC . Doesn't affect the shots in anyway.<br>

It <strong>ONLY does it @ 300mm & AFC</strong> in ANY mode. If I change it in any way (AFS or less than 300mm) it goes away<br>

Using a D90.<br>

Should I be worried?<br>

Thanks.</p>

<p>Is the "weird clicking" your VR? or is it possibly your constant focus working overtime?</p>

<p>When VR is working it will make noise. You will probably hear it more at your longer focal lengths due to the VR glass moving more to counter hand shake.</p>

<p>If it is only in AF-C, It could also be your AF motor working overtime to keep re-focusing. Keep in mind that every time your lens re-focuses, the VR glass inside the lens will also move and make noise.</p>

<p>Enrique, I tried to replicate your own experience using the same lens on a D300 in AF-C, and yes, I hear the same clicking sound. I notice, however, that when this happens the focus confirmation indicator in the viewfinder (the green dot) is blinking on and off. This would indicate that the lens is 'hunting' for focus. In fact, after a few seconds it usually locks on and the clicking ceases. Personally, I would worry no further about this clicking.</p>