Portable Studio Backdrop for an Indian Wedding

sami_zahid

<p>Hi all, hope someone can advise or give me a little inspiration. I'm due to shoot an Indian wedding and the bride would like some portraiture shots in a portable studio. I dont want to use the standard two-toned muslin backdrops (browns, and greys) as I feel they are somewhat dated (?). I'd like to use a more 'Indian style' themed backdrop - I've seen lots of bronze/gold curtain material and was also thinking of using organza or something similar.</p>

<p>The bride will be in traditional dress, which will be brightly coloured and lots of indian gold jewellery (think bollywood!). Just wondering if anyone has any experience in this and what they would advise re backdrop materials/themes.</p>

<p>Appreciate your help!!</p>

<p>hello sami,<br>

i have been in a lot of indian weddings and i have found them to be more amicable and willing to persuasion than church of england weddings. the backdrops you have suggested is not a bad idea but think about the colourful costume of the bride. <br>

the purists would not like this but i wondered if it might be worth taking very slightly underexposed pictures against a white backfrop and then adding a picture of the taj mahal or something like that in the background through photoshop?</p>

<p>One thing I've done is use a draped Sari as the backdrop. You can vary the effect by how much you light it separately.</p>

<p>Just have the Bride get you one that'll go with her attire for the day. I've used a gold one in the past and the client LOVED it!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>BTW, here is what that looks like using a Sari as the backdrop. On this shoot, I used 3 different ones, all supplied by the client.</p>

<p>What amazed me was how darned big they are when opened up and hung over a standard portable background stand. </p><div>00Vxns-227843684.thumb.jpg.b8022b53643c6e4c976be54227a8cf1c.jpg</div>

<p>For inspiration I would suggest that you scan the catalog at: <a href="http://www.backdropoutlet.com/">http://www.backdropoutlet.com/</a></p>

<p>If you already have some basic muslin backdrops you can add the sheer fantasy cloth fabrics to the background in layers and you can also gel a background light with different colors to get the effect you want. However, my preference is to use a nice canvas and keep things simple. Alot of photographer newcomers will try to go cheap by using bed sheets or other store-bought fabrics that don't really work well. Whatever you try, be sure to experiment (alot) well before the actual day to get the kind of results you want.</p><div>00Vxo0-227845884.thumb.jpg.e1b786b92742003393b86961a2d2ac75.jpg</div>

<p>I would actually go the opposite route and use a plain background, given the attire itself is colorful. I shot an Indian wedding where I was forced to use a plain white wall, and the bride really stood out. Your idea of organza is good, though--subtle enough and adds soft texture. I also would not use anything metallic. Today, you don't have to use the Old Masters style backgrounds--there are many to choose from and to rent.</p>

<p>Ha ha...David--I didn't mean to suggest that Sami use a plain white wall--just that perhaps a plain background would make the subject--colors and all else--stand out better. I was thinking maybe a neutral--maybe natural muslin or something similar. And yes, the white wall would be gray, but in my case, the whole subject was lit with natural light through lots of windows, so the wall remained fairly light, and I didn't mind the gradations.</p>

<p>Also--I meant to say that many times we get all wrapped up in a nice background, etc., but when it comes right down to it, one does not see much of the background unless one is doing full lengths of one or two people. Everything else--half lengths and close-ups, and group shots--you don't see much of the background.</p>

<p>I'm all for using white walls as a background. The cockateil has a background light that was feathered to camera left, giving me a nice white background with some shading to the right side (another image from this series was published in "The Cockatiel" by Julie Rach through Howell Book House ©1997 scanned from film). The bride in the image below was lit with bounced omnibounce and the natural light fall off produced the gray wall.</p><div>00Vy9f-228085584.thumb.jpg.25a5480464991e55af6ea704852e1548.jpg</div>

<p>Marc--I didn't even know your sari background was metallic. I was thinking of the really shiny stuff when Sami described the gold and bronze curtains, and you can definitely run into trouble using those as backgrounds--hotspots, etc. Obviously, if your sari is metallic, it looks fine.</p>

<p>As for my suggesting a plain background, vanilla could be an Indian Style background, could it not? Particularly with the organza I said seems like a good idea. My point is--if the clothes themselves are colorful, perhaps a plain background would allow them to be the focal point, considering that backgrounds are often not even seen in some types of shots?</p>

<p>Sorry if you are offended, but there is nothing to be offended about.</p>

<p>Hi all, massive thanks for your advice, and i appreciate your suggestions so thanks guys!. I do like the idea of using a Sari as the backdrop, but as nadine says need to be carefull with the material as many saris can be reflective. As the bride has asked for a themed set up i dont think a plain white background will be right on this occasion so may play around with some saris and organza. And thanks for posting up pics!! (ps david you're right think its a good idea to play around beforehand!)</p>

<p>At the most recent small Indian wedding I did in their house, they actually first showed me the room without a backdrop, when I came back in the room they had put up one from homegoods, red with gold paisley threads. In some photos it looks good in others it's just way too busy. If you can find out the color dress she is actually wearing that'd be good.</p>

<div>00W2L8-230429584.jpg.25e0786c7b4c73d91d5cdc990dc0b7c1.jpg</div>

<p>i dont like any of the backdrops in these posted pics , neither do i like the idea of taj mahal ... but do go with the idea of shooting with white or black bgnd. and the select a few shots to done in photoshop. use a close up of the wedding dress itself and then blur it or diffuse it or something.<br>

in fact white bg pic by <a href="../photodb/user?user_id=1769024">David Schilling</a> is pretty fine. and david can you tell me how to make these borders ?</p>