when's the new replacement for canon 5d ii will be?

aw_vanilla

<p>I have a Canon 7d and I'm ready to buy a full frame camera. I'm thinking of the canon 5d mark ii but I'm a bit hesitant because it's been out for almost 2 years now, and a new replacement might be just around the corner. Do you think a new 5d will be released soon, say in the next 6 months? Thanks.</p>

<p>not six months, but for sure within a year we should expect heavy rumors. There are a few about the 5DmkIII having the 7D AF system along with more video bells and whistles. One being the ability to record to an external hard drive via HDMI. Although this ability is also rumored to be the next firmware for canon DSLR's. Who knows.</p>

<p>The 5DII debuted November 2008 and was commonly available early 2009. So a little over a year ago. It was not a finished product and a major FW release is scheduled this Spring to add advanced HDV features. Maybe Fall 2011 if it enjoys a similar longevity as the 5D.</p>

<p>If you need it now, buy it. Otherwise wait a year or two for the next generation.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>I feel your pain, I just purchased a 7D myself. I love it ! but i got caught in the hype about full frame photography and i heard that the 7d & 5d is a killer combo. I just purchased the 5d this afternoon and am excited to get it, but i really dont think people should be interested in the biggest and best things. in my opinion a full frame camera is a full frame camera, i have seen so many shots done with the 5d and 7d and i know that the mkiii is not going to be that much better. i also just purchased the 70-200mm 2.8 l lens yet there is a mkii coming out this month. Do i care ? not at all, because if you look at the specs, they are the same lens with a different glass coating that boasts a price tag double of the original. there will always be something better. its the way of life. good luck with the camera's and enjoy them and be thankful. there is not alot of people with the luxury of having the best of both worlds :)</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>I have a Canon 7d and I'm ready to buy a full frame camera. I'm thinking of the canon 5d mark ii but I'm a bit hesitant because it's been out for almost 2 years now, and a new replacement might be just around the corner. Do you think a new 5d will be released soon, say in the next 6 months? Thanks.</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yes, that 7D has been completely obsoleted by the eventually-to-be-released 5D3 or whatever Canon will call it. You should really stop using the 7D immediately and do some serious research into the 5D2 replacement so you'll be ready for it.</p>

<p>But, on the other hand, at the point that Canon releases the 5D3 (with Ultimate Iconic Composition Control, a 50MP sensor, and built-in Google search features) Canon will actually already have the 5D4 under development - and it will <em>blow away</em> the 5D3! If I were you, I'd forego the 5D3 and hold out for the 5D4 - it will really be the Ultimate Picture Making Machine.</p>

<p>Dan</p>

<p>;-)</p>

<p>AW,</p>

<p>I have it on excellent authority that, no way no how, Canon will absolutely not release the 5DIII until

the day after you buy the 5DII. So stop waiting will, ya? The rest of us want our 5DIIIs….</p>

<p>Cheers,</p>

<p>b&</p>

<p>In all seriousness why do you feel you need to go to full frame? What do you think the 7D lacks? What lenses are you using?<br>

I love my 5D2 and if a 5d3 was released I would not be interested regardless of any new features since my 5d2 goes beyond what I need but the 7D is also a terrific camera and if I had not purchased a 5d2 long before the 7D came out I think it would have been a pretty tough decision so consider the fact that you have one of the best cameras available today. </p>