Video lights for stills . . .

ed_farmer

<p>I have been looking at Doug Gordon's work for some time. Doug sells a DVD on using a video light for wedding day portraiture. The light that he recommends is about $400. Does anyone here do this now? What lights are you using? In the end, I wouldn't mind spending $400 if it is worthwhile, but I would like to try it out with something cheaper.<p><br>

Thanks for any help . . .</p>

<p>You might experiment with the 100 watt quartz floods from the hardware store. These are around 3000k. They have flood and spot configurations. <br />Flash is more convenient- no power cords etc. I don't see much gain. <br />You could try putting CTS filter over the flash and balancing the camera for incandescent.<br>

Assuming I was looking at the right site, I didn't see anything you couldn't do with flash. He may be working with hot lights because he has a video or film background.<br>

Remember that El Mariachi was made with a couple of 250 watt photofloods.<br>

The blue filters used to convert tungsten to daylight soak up 2 stops.</p>

<p>A long time ago, I used to practice lighting with a school photo club using a pair of 1000 W halogen work lights and DIY diffusers. They are dirt cheap and the light is actually pretty similar to the video lights, but you probably wouldn't want to drag one of those to a wedding. There's a bunch of problems with the work lights: they get very hot, you're lucky if you get a on/off switch (rather than just plugging in and unplugging), nevermind control of the intensity, they're heavy and clunky, and they need to be plugged into the electrical mains. They are probably good enough to practice lighting and colour balancing.</p>

<p>Here's a demo: <a href="http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=Doug+Gordon+torch+light&fr=chr-atty">http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=Doug+Gordon+torch+light&fr=chr-atty</a><br>

I wasn't persuaded. It looks like an LED with a couple of filters. LED's have their own spectral problems.<br>

He only uses it to fill the ambient. It's too small for anything else.<br>

Daylight and incandescent are easy to handle. Rosco CTS (straw) if you don't know that line. I have used CTO which is more red but I thought the skin was a little on the magenta side.<br>

With florescent I'd use a custom white balance. Hold a piece of Rosco Tough Frost over the lens when balancing. I shot a retirement party where the light was daylight through a window plus florescent. Custom balance did the trick.</p>

<p>Of course, do a search. Here is a previous thread.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.photo.net/wedding-photography-forum/00T0SW">http://www.photo.net/wedding-photography-forum/00T0SW</a></p>

<p>I attended David Ziser's seminar last year, and as a result, picked up one of the following. It is bright enough to use as fill outdoors in the day, in shade. To date, I have not used it at night. I haven't been desparate enough, because I have small flashes on me all the time, and the flashlight is my last level to resort to. I used it for some ring shots, though. For that, they work fine.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.duracell.com/en-US/product/daylite-cr123.jspx">http://www.duracell.com/en-US/product/daylite-cr123.jspx</a></p>

<p>Use of continuous illumination (like the Torch Light) isn't a replacement for a speed light ... it's aimed more at providing fill when shooting available light stills ... and are becoming of greater interest as more and more DSLRs offer video capability.</p>

<p>That it can be used for 4 hours, recharges fully in 1 hour, is relatively small and clips into the hot-shoe, comes with different WB diffusers are also nice features.</p>

<p>Another advantage is that continuous light eliminates red-eye. The disadvantage is that it is more intrusive prior to taking the shot for candid work, <em>(more or less depending on how much intensity is used).</em></p>

<p>$400. is not a nice feature, nor is 2 lbs. Price is probably partly to do with a self enclosed battery able to last that long. Many video lights require a separate battery pack or battery belt. </p>

<p>Because I'm looking to move away from so much speed light work in favor of available light, I'm interested in the Sony HVL-LBPA version of this because it takes the same batteries as my Sony A900 camera, weighs less, and is also self contained if you wish. However, it's bigger, and even more expensive ... for comparison, it's $520. without the battery ... which are $64. each.</p>

<p>Nothing is ever a perfect solution : -( </p>

<p> </p>

<p>I have a video background and while I can see advantages to continuous lighting for photos it can really kill the mood at dark receptions. As a videographer I hated to use it but there really was no choice. At least flash allows you to preserve some of intended ambience.</p>

<p>Agree RT ... I don't think I'd use it for candid work ... but I'm also not all that crazy about flash that much, since "a big bolt of lightening" isn't exactly preserving the "ambience" either : -)</p>

<p>Shooters like Jeff Ascough tend to shy away from flash as much as possible because it destroys the stealth nature if candid type work.</p>

<p>I am with RT too. It can totally kill the mood at receptions. I think that is why we hardly see videographers any more. The past few years I have noticed a significant decline in that type of coverage.</p>

<p>If it is to be used for a main light, you will likely be looking at a Frezzi setup. They are good, but will necessitate the use of higher ISO's (like 1000 - 1600).</p>

<p>If you are shooting mixed media for that fusion type product, then they are a must, along with the batteries and cords, IMO.</p>

<p>Check out Planet neil. Neil has a whole section on using video lights for weddings and portraits. He is a great resorce for all kinds of off camera lighting. Also,any lighting can "kill the mood" it is up to you to use your lights so it does not kill the mood. You can do some great backlighting effects with video lights at the reception. Also for B&G portraits.</p>

<p>Sunpak - Readylite 20 Video Light a inexpesive substite get an extra battery they don't last too long, , down fall not as bright, not adjustable. but the lowel id light totally rocks, adjustable, get the handle and barn door attachments, we use for b&g formals, cake, it's one of those things that gets a great special effect that will help your photography stand out. </p>

<p>I've used a Lowell ID light with a dimmer switch & a Alien Bees portable battery for limited use at weddings for continuous light & a speedlight. I only use the lowell for specific pictures that need a extra light a flash will not do for. The Lowell does everything Doug Gordon's light will do, just with a cord & at half the price. Someone will duplicate his light & make it cheaper.</p>

<p>I find the video light can be a great help when doing some of the Creative shots with the bride and groom after the ceremony and during the reception at various locations in and around the reception hall.</p>

<p>It's always good to have other "normal" ambient lighting available and use video light in addition to the ambient / available lighting.</p>

<p> </p>

• 9 months later...
<p>BUYER BEWARE: First I bought this with a very specific purpose in mind. And buying over the internet is always tough because you can't really see what it does. Unfortunately I bought this product. It did not perform in the manner I had hoped. When I tried to return it WITHIN a week they told me they had a NO RETURN POLICY. Who does that? THEN as I was just researching look what I found. The SAME thing or at least EXTREMELY similar for half the cost. http://www.amazon.com/Switronix-TL-50-Dimmerable-Powered-Fixture/dp/B001PTQIQK/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1293683673&sr=1-2</p>