Olympus OM10 questions

thomas_sullivan

<p>I was just given an Oly OM10 with lenses and a Olympus t20 flash. First question is......I am interested in buying the manual adapter for the lens mount to allow full manual exposure control. I did about 2 days worth of googling and found none. If any Photo net members have one and want to sell it....I'm in the market for one. Second question......I have two "pocketable" cameras I've always want a small flash for fill light. The Oly T20 is definitely the right size. I also did some googling on this flash being used on other cameras and the opinions are mixed....so I thought I'd ask here. The two cameras, besides the OM10, that I'd like to use the flash on are the Ricoh GRD, and the Konica Hexar AF. I'd prefer no cords needed to do this as i just want them ONLY for fill. The google hits I've gotten seem to indicate that the T20 is TTL dependent.....but, it does have a manual setting. I have no problem using manual flash. So, can I use it on those two cams?</p>

<p>Hi Thomas<br>

You've got a great cam there - I have had an OM10 for almost 30 years and it still works perfectly! As to your question on the manual exposure control, the only type of thing that I'm aware of (since I bought one when I bought the cam) is a widget that goes on the camera, not the lens mount. Can't give you much more info than that except it works well. I bought it too many years ago...but if memory serves me at all, it just clicked into/onto the cam on the left hand side just on the front of the cam where the film spool and battery check/on/off button is for the exposure meter is, if that makes sense. It just says "manual adaptor" of the front of the adaptor. As far as I know it is a genuine oly adaptor.<br>

Is that what you are talking about? Or have I just wasted your time with this post? I hope not....anyway, best of luck finding one and have fun with your 'new' toy!</p>

<p> Yes, the T-20 can be used on any hotshoe camera. Look on the back of the unit. There should be a squarish button visible, I think on the lower left, gently press it, and simultanously slide the back panel out to one side (I've forgotten whether it's right or left) gently. Now turn that panel over, and you will see what looks like a non-ttl flash control panel (and linear dial for calculating manuakl flash). Reinsert it by sliding it back in, making sure it's locked itself in place, and there you have a tiny hotshoe flash. On the manual OM-10 adapter, there's at least two on EvilBay right now, BIN for $20. Make sure the shutter speeds are right on your OM-10 before putting any money into it. They get the dreaded oil-on-the magnet syndrome often. An OM-1n is a far better camera.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>oh....I was under the impression, apparently mistakenly, that the OM10 manual adapter simulated the OMx method....both functionally and physically. But you guys are right, that's what I need. arrrrggggg.....Ebay....I hate buying from that site.</p>

<p>thanks on the flash info.....will try that asap</p>

<p>oh....I was under the impression, apparently mistakenly, that the OM10 manual adapter simulated the OMx method....both functionally and physically. But you guys are right, that's what I need. arrrrggggg.....Ebay....I hate buying from that site.</p>

<p>thanks on the flash info.....will try that asap</p>

<p>Regarding the T20 flash, keep in mind that it only covers an angle corresponding to a 35mm lens (for 35mm film). The T32 covers roughly that of a 28mm lens, and the older Quick 300 and Quick 310 flashes covered nearly the angle of a 24mm lens. Don't use these early flashes (300/310) on a digital camera as their trigger voltage (150-200V) might fry the sync circuit.</p>

<p>Not sure about the compatability of the contacts, but you could always just cover up the others with tape.<br>

Rmember the T20 has a "normal auto mode" which works well for fill flash as long as you are close enough.<br>

Yes it has a built in light sensor and can be used TTL or normal auto as well as manual.<br>

F4 and F8 for ASA 100. (E.g. For a brightish fill use F5.6 on the cam and F4 on the T20---equivalent to a -1 fill<br>

on some cams)</p>

<p>The GN may is about right in a modest sized room with light walls but smaller in other conditions.<br>

Manual:<br>

http://zuserver2.star.ucl.ac.uk/~rwesson/esif/om-sif/flashphotogroup/manuals/t20.pdf<br>

Mike</p>

<p>The normal auto mode on this flash works great, I've used it with a wide variety of older strictly manual cameras and it's never let me down. The only real down-side to it is the proximity of the sensor to the flash-head means you can't really use a bounce-card to get a more diffused light. That's the big big advantage of the T32, is it's built-in bounce swivel.</p>