Canon S90 vs. Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3

<p>Hi, do any of you have any experience with the following compact cameras?<br>

Canon Powershoot S90<br>

Panasonic Lumix DMC LX3<br>

They both seem like really good cameras that can capture RAW files (+++) (looking for a DSLR-substitute), and both are about the same price range. S90 is new and probably therefore better- but Lumix has a nice "Leica" feel to it. Which of these cameras would you choose? And why?<br>

Thanks for any advice!</p>

<p>Well, where I live, the S90 is something like $150 less than the LX3, so, that was the basis of my decision right there. I have to say that I'm very happy with my S90, though. I can set it up to feel much like using my all-manual Pentax or Nikons decades ago. No menus, just change aperture with one dial and shutter speed with another. The big front dial is programmable in many other ways also. One nice feature for an old prime lens user like me, is that I can use that ring around the lens to click-zoom precisely to 28 mm, 35 mm, 50 mm, 85 mm and 105 mm focal lengths (it shows them in 35 mm equivalents). I like that better than just zooming continuously. I can even program a custom mode just as I like it, which I can use for things such as a readily available streetshooting setup. It's quite a complete little camera, with a great, high res 3 inch LCD display.<br>

That being said, I'm not sure it's a DSLR substitute. I like it's size, functionality and image quality myself, but it's still a compact digicam with a little larger sensor than typical point & shoots (same size as the G11), not DSLR sized. There's no provision for filters, no hotshoe, and if that's important, video is good but not HDTV. I've been doing some low light photography with it recently, handheld, with pretty good results. I don't have a DSLR. Always been a fan of cheap cameras, or small high-quality ones. DSLR's seem like giant beasts to me.</p>

<p>If price and availability are similar in your area, I would suggest looking at the differences carefully in relation to how and what you want to shoot with it. I made my choice a few months ago, and personally, it came down to the LX3's brighter lens, higher frame rate, better (apparently) optics, easily adjustable frame ratios and HD video. But I do regret the S90's longer zoom (105mm vs 60mm) and its more user-friendly controls and interface. </p>

<p>Jorunn -- I have a 5DM2 with a bunch of L-glass lenses, as my reference point -- gear that has gotten me pretty spoiled! I took a job last fall that involves a lot of international travel, but without enough opportunities for photography time (under most circumstances) to justify schlepping along all those extra pounds through airports. I looked around for the highest-quality pocketable camera I could find -- so when I had to resort to the old adage that "the best camera is the one you have with you", I could count on a fast lens, RAW files, and the kind of manual control a DSLR gets you used to. After looking at all the available options (including the Lumix, which I thought was too big to pocket) last November, I settled on the S90. It has met my particular needs extremely well -- for example, I was surprised by a hosted visit to an NGO's operations in Bangladesh a few weeks ago, and I was able to capture the experience pretty well, at least by my own standards -- and that despite terrible lighting conditions in some of the settings. See <a href="http://steven-jon.smugmug.com/Trips/20100207-Dhaka-Bangladesh">http://steven-jon.smugmug.com/Trips/20100207-Dhaka-Bangladesh</a> for the results. The Paraguay trip in the same gallery category there was also shot with the S90.<br>

I agree with others' comments that the manual controls are really sweet. They give you much more rapid response from and facility with the tool, which can really improve your results for the kind of in-the-moment shooting that you're more likely to be doing when in curcumstances that limit you to a pocket camera.<br>

I'm a big fan.</p>

<p>I have owned the LX3 sold it and just when the S90 came out I bought it. I carry a 5D MKII when I can next is a T1i, then when I really want to go light I carry the S90 and have been very happy with it. I shoot almost always in RAW mode and am able to make large prints. Love the controls, quality and how it fits in my pocket. Gordon</p><div>00VwHc-226817584.jpg.23204ce18c826539c17b7360e0caa504.jpg</div>

<p>IMHO, a little reach and superior pocketability are the primary strengths the S90 enjoys over the LX3. Both are real, but I ended up keeping the LX3 because there's a certain magic to that little lens that I think explains its near legendary status. Even rumors of an LX4 don't seem to damage its allure. To me, the LX3 is worth its slightly larger size. It simply produces amazingly good images.</p>

<p>It's <em>still</em> small enough that I carry it with me all the time.</p>

<p>I didn't look at the LX3 (partly due to $) but I'm very happy with my S90. It isn't perfect, controls a bit twitchy and I added a grip from <a href="http://www.kleptography.com/rf/#camera_s90">Richard Franiec </a>which really helps with handling. Here is a <a href="http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7981232&highlight=">TR on a ski mountaineering trip </a>I did a few weeks ago where the light weight and ease of access really helped.</p>

<p>FWIW, the grip on the LX3 pretty much sucks, too. A couple of carefully positioned eGrip dots really helped. I did the same with my S90 while I had it. It's even more slippery than the LX3 without them...the Ricoh GRD III is the <em>best</em> one handed P&S there is.</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>After long deliberation, I bought the S90. It made perfect sense because I realized I was carrying my Nikon D300 with the equivalent of a 28-105 lens all the time, and here is this pocketable little gem with the same equivalent focal length but beginning at f/2.0! It has already proven to be a superb picture taker, from documenting opera rehearsals to frog-level swamp pictures to informal portraiture. <br>

Getting it set up to suit my preferences helped. I installed an LCD protector, ordered the stick-on-grip everyone recommends, and added a bright red lanyard so I can find the thing more easily and keep it from hitting the ground if it slips from my pocket. It feels like a camera that will be part of me for years to come.<br>

The thing seems a modern day "Leica," meaning a small, handy camera that will be with you and is capable of excellence when used right. Moreover, it works at arms length, so this afternoon I could reach inside Japanese maples and get perspectives from the inside out that would not even be possible with my cherished D300.<br>

When I was a working photojournalist, I often carried an Olympus XA around my neck. Everyone was aware of the 3 SLRs I always had on my shoulders and reacted to them, but I could pull up the little XA and get pictures that had much more natural feel. That's the kind of camera the S90 is, a real winner in my book.</p>

<p>After long deliberation, I bought the S90. It made perfect sense because I realized I was carrying my Nikon D300 with the equivalent of a 28-105 lens all the time, and here is this pocketable little gem with the same equivalent focal length but beginning at f/2.0! It has already proven to be a superb picture taker, from documenting opera rehearsals to frog-level swamp pictures to informal portraiture. <br>

Getting it set up to suit my preferences helped. I installed an LCD protector, ordered the stick-on-grip everyone recommends, and added a bright red lanyard so I can find the thing more easily and keep it from hitting the ground if it slips from my pocket. It feels like a camera that will be part of me for years to come.<br>

The thing seems a modern day "Leica," meaning a small, handy camera that will be with you and is capable of excellence when used right. Moreover, it works at arms length, so this afternoon I could reach inside Japanese maples and get perspectives from the inside out that would not even be possible with my cherished D300.<br>

When I was a working photojournalist, I often carried an Olympus XA around my neck. Everyone was aware of the 3 SLRs I always had on my shoulders and reacted to them, but I could pull up the little XA and get pictures that had much more natural feel. That's the kind of camera the S90 is, a real winner in my book.</p><div>00W8rm-233773684.jpg.2dc36c47cb4817097e15d9810cce4f05.jpg</div>