Deardorff front rise and fall

tim_atherton2

One the 8x10 Deardorff, is there any real or practical difference in

using the front sliding panel for rise and fall or moving the whole

front standard up and down instead - especially re coverage/cutoff.

The former obviously just moves the lens, the latter moves the

bellows as well. Is there the possibility of less coverage/earlier

corner cut off with just the sliding panel? Or doesn't it matter?

All the optical math/scheissepflug stuff always leaves me with a

headache... so simple explanations please!

tim

Hi Tim,

The sliding panel is most useful for movements with shorter lenses as you may encounter bellows vignetting when the bellows are constricted. If you need extreme vertical correction you may have to use both. I mounted a SA 165mm on a recessed board after determining that the amount of rise is slightly more with bellows movement than with a regular board using the panel slide. The former obviously doesn't allow for the panel to slide and the latter doesn't allow for any bellows movement due to the shorter extension. Coverage of the lens is dependent on the amount of displacement, not by the method of displacement. Hope this helps,

Henry

When you use the sliding panel for front rise or fall you don't have to worry about the front standard getting out of alignment with the rear standard (assuming, of course, that they were properly aligned in the first place). When you raise the front standard up or down you need to be concerned about that because the same wing nuts that are loosened to raise or lower the front standard also are used for front tilt (the one thing, other than the weight, that I don't like about this camera). Thus when you raise or lower the front standard you can also inadvertantly introduce some unwanted front tilt, especially when using a heavy lens. Of course the sliding panel can only be raised or lowered about an inch so in some cases you have no choice except to raise or lower the front standard.

The great thing about the sliding panel is that it lets you fine tune your rise/fall framing without messing up any tilt you may have used. I generally set the standard high, low, or in the middle as appropriate for a subject as an automoatic part of opening up the camera. Then a touch of the sliding panel fine tunes the framing. This makes setup very quick.